Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will this reel work as a spey reel or is it better to get a tioga 12. ive heard that the tioga 12 hold more backing than the tioga 12LA. would the tioga 12 LA workas well. any info would be appreciated. need to figure out soon because theres a fly shop in california selling them for a good deal.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Will handle 200 yds of 30# dacron and a 9/10 XLT or 8/9 GrandSpey

Good spey reel.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Scott, re Tioga.

Look at tetonflyreels.net/teton/productTeton.html

The web site staes the Tioga 12LA capacity as a WF12F + 150 yards of 30#
This is inadequate for a spey reel, except for light lines [7-wt] and GSP backing, which should be avoided if possible, in my opinion.

The site lists the Teton 12LA capacity as a WF12F + 300 yards of 30#. This generous capacity will hold a WC 9 or WC 10 or a MS8.9 plus 200 yards of 30# Micron [Dacron]backing, or more if using Wulff 30# Dacron. You may find this reel at 8.4 ounces is a little light to balance your rod. If so, use an idea posted by a member of this board a year or so ago--wrap lead core around the arbor to the point where the reel balances the rod.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Why the heck does anyone need more than 125 yards of backing?

Hugs to you Bob, but all these 'statistics' are a pain in the bottom. Not to mention have zero to do with spey lines. Spey lines, to borrow the old Anzac marching song come in: 'the long, the short and the tall.'

Most spey lines are a minimum of 120 foot long and lets say you only have 100 yards of (30#) backing. Mr. Fish sucks up your spey line and just 50 yards of backing. He's now almost 300 feet away from you in current, fish weight, et. al.:whoa:

Unless you in a boat or in open ocean conditions the probability of landing 'him' is close to zero. Or as we Rogue Trogolites would say: "that's fishing, not catching.' A long range release.
:devil:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Backing

I agree with you on this one Fred. If I can get a 100 yds of backing on a reel and still fit the spey line on there I consider it a good fit! Not to say that I dont have a few reels with more than 100yds on them. But I dont believe it is necessary to have 200 or 300 yads of backing plus the spey line. I also believe that balancing a reel with a rod is very important. I know some here believe that the balance is not important and want the lightest possible outfit they can get. But when fishing all day or for a couple days in a row. A balanced outfit is a blessing! :D

J

·
0 Posts
Believe me, there are rivers where having more than 100yds of backing is a necessity. I've had fish that I've landed almost a half mile below where they were hooked on the Restigouche. Sometimes the canoe is there to help with that journey, but sometimes one just has to hoof it. There is no way I'd fish that river and several other Canadian salmon rivers without at least 250yds of backing. It could very well be, though I doubt it, that there are no steelhead rivers where the same thing can happen. One thing is for sure: the fish that is likely to take more than 100yds of backing is surely the fish you won't want to lose because you got spooled.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Fred, re Backing & Data

Fred,
The need for backing is a function of the fish you pursue, and the water those fish inhabit.

Data was provided because I wanted to politely suggest one of the postings re reel capacity was probably incorrect.

Bob

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Re: Fred, re Backing & Data

Bob Pauli said:
Fred,
The need for backing is a function of the fish you pursue, and the water those fish inhabit.

Bob
Bob, couldn't agree more!

But there are darned few places on SW Oregon rivers you can go much more than 100 yards before you hit the next 'bend in the river.' Trying to follow a fish is putting your life 'on the line.' (sorry for the bad pun)
:D

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Hi scottd, i have used the Teton 12LA for the past 3 years on one of my two handers and it has worked well. I have a windcutter multi tip line the 8/9/10 with the upgrade and 200yds of 30lb backing on that reel. the upgrade on the windcutter gives you a head that is 69' long so a Midspey length line will also easily fit on this reel. I agree with Bob Pauli the reel is a little light, i have it on a Loomis GLX 13' 8/9 and it does not balance the outfit where i would prefer. I have had no problems with this reel it has worked really well in all the conditions i have used it in. tight lines,brian

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Bob is correct. The information I posted was apparently incorrect. It applied to the Teton 12LA (of which I have owned three) not the Tioga. I assumed the Tioga and Teton 12LA were the same dimensions (according to the site the Tioga LA is a 4.25" reel while the Teton 12LA is a 4.5").

Not sure why this is as they have always hyped the fact you can use Tioga spools on Teton reels. I know this to be the case on their smaller reels as I switched spools with a buddy some years back to try out his shooting head system.

Sorry if my misinformation caused anyone any trouble.

And Bob, no need to be polite. If I screw up, please PM me and tell me I am full of it. :D

sinktip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts