Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does TIMING mean to you as a caster of both single and double-handed rods? I'm trying to figure out a good explanation to convey to beginning casters. Is there a clear, concise explaination? Your help is greatly appreciated. Klem

·
Registered
439 Posts
Timing

Good article about this written by Steve Rajeff on the Golden Gate Casting Clubs web site. Can't remember the whole title, but think it is, Loop, Timing, Tempo, and ?

Leroy.......................

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I explain the basic physics in laymens terms, then insist that the timing is what allows all those things to function properly. Often with beginners they are too focused on the timing and tempo in and of itself, as opposed to controlling them to make the mechanics work well.

Watch a newbie. They are thinking of trying to produce an end result by the motions they are making with their arms. You can see in their expressions that they are not connected to the dynamics of the line in the air, just timing and tempo. (Sorry, I've been at fly shows lately by the casting pool)

In other words, where some think a cast is the result of timing, one could also say that timing is the result of understanding the mechanics.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Dana,

I would add the following 2 things to your description of timing: 1)when to apply the power push or pull; and 2) and when to make the abrupt stop to launch the backcast (or form the D loop) or final forward delivery. I agree wholeheartedly with you on speed or rhythm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts