Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to do it but my old brown Sage 7136-4 has to go. This rod has caught more steelhead than I can count since 96/97. I can't think about the Trinity in California or the Umpqua without seeing this rod with a sinktip and an ugly bug hanging off the tiptop. Took it out this morning, and after I moved over from the more skagit/bottom hand stroke to an extended stroke like Simon G. advocates in his book, I could put out a nice tight loop out to 75 or 80 feet, but no turnover on the leader, and when I was waist deep or when the wind came up... Well...

The whole time I was thinking "If I had my 13ft 8 Dec Hogan, I'd be hittin' the far seam" which was anothe 15 or so feet out. When the gear doesn't do what you need it to do, it must go.

I even recently got the rod a Salmon #1 to keep it company...

I'm really not joking, This was my second two handed rod I got after the 9140-4, and it's going to be really hard to part with.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Before you get rid of it, try it with a Skagit 450.

Philster said:
I hate to do it but my old brown Sage 7136-4 has to go. This rod has caught more steelhead than I can count since 96/97. I can't think about the Trinity in California or the Umpqua without seeing this rod with a sinktip and an ugly bug hanging off the tiptop. Took it out this morning, and after I moved over from the more skagit/bottom hand stroke to an extended stroke like Simon G. advocates in his book, I could put out a nice tight loop out to 75 or 80 feet, but no turnover on the leader, and when I was waist deep or when the wind came up... Well...

The whole time I was thinking "If I had my 13ft 8 Dec Hogan, I'd be hittin' the far seam" which was anothe 15 or so feet out. When the gear doesn't do what you need it to do, it must go.

I even recently got the rod a Salmon #1 to keep it company...

I'm really not joking, This was my second two handed rod I got after the 9140-4, and it's going to be really hard to part with.
Before you get rid of it, try it with a Skagit 450.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts