Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fly Away
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a spotless Scott S3s 908/4 fly rod that I bought years ago and only used once on a trip to Alaska fishing for coho and sockeye and once in the islands fishing for bonefish. Today I tried to joint it together, but none of the ferrules will fit together flush. There is a gap between every one. I've tried beeswax, dubbing wax and even using very fine steel wool--all to no avail. The rod joints are clean. Anyone have a solution for this short of sending it back to the factory? The ferrules are so tight I doubt any lubricant will work. I want to sell the rod, but obviously not the way it is now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
That is what is known as a spigot ferrule. Not meant to join flush - if they do, it means your ferrule is worn out. Used to be used by a number of companies including Scott until improvements in materials allowed for slimmer tip/sleeve rover butt ferrule profiles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
You will get used to it. Several of my older rods have spigot ferrles. I really like them and don't even notice them anymore. (Had the same reaction as you when I first saw them.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I've tried beeswax, dubbing wax
Be sure to clean out all that sticky wax, with isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) or rubbing alcohol. That sticky gunk will attract dirt and grit, which will grind away the ferrule surfaces. Only use "ferrule wax", or candle wax, and only sparingly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,148 Posts
Be sure to clean out all that sticky wax, with isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) or rubbing alcohol. That sticky gunk will attract dirt and grit, which will grind away the ferrule surfaces. Only use "ferrule wax", or candle wax, and only sparingly.


I have also seen a number of rods break the male ferrule because the wax build up was so heavy that it kept the ferrule from seating properly ( deep enough)
 

·
Fly Away
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thoroughly cleaned all the ferrules, male and female, with rubbing alcohol after I found the beeswax and dubbing wax weren't going to work. Thanks again everyone for your good replies.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top