Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a Tibor Riptide with their Spey rod? Thinking of getting the reel and wondered if it will handle a Spey line plus backing. FishHawk

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
My Riptide balances well with T&T 12' 6-wt and 13' 7-wt Spey rods.

With a WindCutter 6.7.8, 200 yards of SA 30 pound dacron backing can be spooled. With a Skagit 550 or 650, about 150 yards of this backing can be held.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
As Bob said, it's a great reel for small lines. Standard weight forward 10wt line and 200 yds of #30 doesn't translate into much spey capacity. Mine didn't get much use until I got an airflo skagit line. Unless you plan on using it on smaller rods, or dedicated shooting head/skagit reel, I would look for something bigger if you don't already own it.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Far be it from me to question "The Continental";) but what do you consider plenty of backing and are you talking 30 pound dacron? Do you have 100yds on there? I personally agree that 100yds on a large arbor reel is enough, but I can't imagine you could get 100 on there.

·
Registered
737 Posts
riptide

No more champayne for you, Philster! Actually, I remembered that I've got a 7/8 airflo multi on the Tibor, not an 8/9. It's got _about_ 100 yards of 30 lb. backing. I should say, though, that I've never come close to getting even half of that backing out on that reel, drag being what it is. The day may come, of course.

·
Registered
Winston Trout Rods, Sage and Burkie Steelhead Rods, Abel, Orvis, Tibor and Islander reels.
175 Posts
Anyone using a Tibor Riptide with their Spey rod? Thinking of getting the reel and wondered if it will handle a Spey line plus backing. FishHawk
I do. Have Riptide on a Burkie 7127 with an Airflo FIST and 10' of T14 and plenty of backing. Great Reel!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have one as well, use it for the single hand rod with a 9 weight intermediate for stripers and then on a buelah 8/9 switch for Great Lakes Tribs. Backing capacity is the only negative and I use power pro 50 pound to deal with that. Reel is pretty much bomb proof and takes saltwater dunking no problem.

·
Registered
Winston Trout Rods, Sage and Burkie Steelhead Rods, Abel, Orvis, Tibor and Islander reels.
175 Posts
They are light so you may want to try the Tibor Gulfstream. Great large arbor with awesome Drag and tons of backing capacity. IF you can't get your hands on one at a local shop, let me know and perhaps I could loan you mine to put on the rod and get a good feel for it. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would probably go with the gulf stream if you are going to use it for a heavier weight Spey. The riptide arbor would be very tight for like an 8 weight and up. Their backing numbers are misleading.

·
Registered
RL Winston, Loop Classic, Hardy Perfect
988 Posts
I have the Gulf Stream (pretty sure). It's nice, but the running line can go through the slot and between the frame and arbor (I think this is the right terminology). It's happened to me 2-3x already and it's pretty annoying, so if you get the reel, use a thicker running line (not mono) so it can't squeeze through that gap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts