Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking at a new rod to add to the collection. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on the Burkheimer 8142-4
or the Winston 8146. Target is a longer rod to boost my ego ( and to force me how to cast mid and long bellies ).
Yes, I'm kinda green, but I have a determination to expand my ability to cast over barren waters. Ugh!!
Thanks for your input.

·
One more cast...
254 Posts
I have not cast the Winston, but the Burkie 8142 is one of my favorite rods. Can do everything from launching a mid belly dry line to the other side of the river to handling a Skagit with some considerable payload on board. In the 8 weight 14ish feet category, you would be hard pressed to find a better rod than the 8142 in my opinion.

Reactions: SLSS

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Like clayito, I’ve never cast the Winston. I cast a friend’s 14’2 Burkie recently with a 63 ft Galeforce, and it was spectacular.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I’ve cast both rods, while the Burkie is quite nice, it’s old news. The Winston 8146 is an absolute cannon and the lightest 14’+ rod you will find anywhere, not to mention gorgeous as are all green sticks, that’s why I bought it! After a buddy of mine tried it, guess what, he bought one too!! I understand most of these rods have gone to Scandinavia.

Regards

Trident

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
2,094 Posts
Like clayito, I’ve never cast the Winston. I cast a friend’s 14’2 Burkie recently with a 63 ft Galeforce, and it was spectacular.
I have the 9143-3 and it is a stellar combination with the 63' Equalizer. ;)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I much prefer longer rods for dry fly fishing and fishing with floating lines, but the air th14'6" has become my go to for fishing the entire day with. It is extremely light weight and won't tire me out like the heavier, longer rods. (Or maybe it may be my bad casting)

Like Trident has stated, it's a cannon, but with lots of "feel" throughout the blank.

I've had custom rods built with top flor grade cork shaped to smaller diameters, but the Air handles are the best I've ever held so far. Super tight and smooth with a smaller diameter than your standard factory rods which aids in feeling that "feel" while casting.

It really shines with longer lines. So far, I really enjoy casting and fishing the 8/9 63' gaelforce equalizer.

Overall, I am very happy with it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts