Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that to an extent a skagit head is a skagit head, and they all are fairly similar, but I would still like to hear what you guys have to say about this head. The reason is because my experience with it has not been that amazing, but it is just me. So let's hear it, who has one or has tried one?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also curious about this head, would you mind relating your experience with it? I have none.
To preface, I have been throwing the Airflo Skagit Compact G2 for the last handful of years, and I have really gotten along well with it. When the Driver came out I was interested so I picked it up. I used to throw some amazing casts with the G2, super tight loops with mega distance, but with the Driver I can't seem to create the same loops or distance. Not entirely sure what is causing this, probably me, but not sure what change I am not meshing with.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
I know the Skagit compacts are full floating and the Driver is said to sit lower in the water column and to creat more "stick". I haven't cast it - but as with any sinking line sitting lower in the column lifting it can be more difficult and so it could be that the anchor is landing further away from you. Or it could just be a matter of timing /adjusting and getting used to the increased "stick." Something to try is using lighter/shallower sinktips than what you use with floating skagit head.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Don't care for myself. I can put a rio skagit max of same grain weight on the same rod and rip it, but the driver seems lifeless. I'm not really sure why.
But to be honest I've never really cared for Airflo skagit heads of any generation.
I keep buying them and trying them and keep putting the rios back on.
I should try an SA some day

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't care for myself. I can put a rio skagit max of same grain weight on the same rod and rip it, but the driver seems lifeless. I'm not really sure why.
But to be honest I've never really cared for Airflo skagit heads of any generation.
I keep buying them and trying them and keep putting the rios back on.
I should try an SA some day
I haven't fished any of the rio skagit heads, never really had a reason to buy one, and I have heard that rio heads are not the most durable. Since it sounds like you fish the rio skagits quite a bit, how durable would you say they are?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I haven't fished any of the rio skagit heads, never really had a reason to buy one, and I have heard that rio heads are not the most durable. Since it sounds like you fish the rio skagits quite a bit, how durable would you say they are?
I steered clear of Rio after a short lived gold for my single hander. I have been using Rio lines for a couple years now with good success after I found that opst commandos were made by Rio.
Skagit trout spey, scandi body, scandi 3d, and pike/musky have all held up well for me. I have commandos that are over 5 years old and still going strong.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the Rio lines I own.
Other than one I bought that looked a several years old judging from the faded box it came in. I found it on a dusty shelf in a funky little fly shop while on a trip. I was getting frustrated with an Airflo head I'd taken along and felt desperate.
But even that head is still fishing fine, I only mention it because if I look close I can see tiny cracks near one of the loops.

My understanding from talking to fly shop staff is that a past generation or two of Rio lines that were prone to cracking and even flaking apart. Obviously it did a lot of damage to the brand.
Which is part if the reason I've been convinced to keep trying Airflo they're supposed to last longer. Problem is the darn things don't cast well for me so I don't give a fig how long they last!
I do like their rage heads though.
I really should find and try some Scientific Angler heads, they seem to have a strong following.
But I don't really need anymore heads now!

Lief

1 - 8 of 8 Posts