Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the new 'toy' is going to require another 'new toy.'

Find that all three of our present cars may be quite inappropriate as a vech. to tow behind the motor home (all auto transmission, 4x4 is rear wheel drive).

What are the requirements for a good tow behind auto; would prefer something that's 4x4. Second question that obviously follows: your recommendation(s) on manufacture/type.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just a word of caution - many manufacturers have warranty disclaimers if you tow the vehicle. Some standard transmission 4x4's require you to disconnect the drive shaft.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Fred
Went through the same thing last year. We looked at the annual list that Motorhome magazine puts out then went looking at the different dealers making sure we looked at the manual for each of the vehicles we had on our list. The Motorhome magazine list was pretty accurate. We wanted a vehicle with an automatic transmission with no restrictions other than speed restriction of 65mph, we ended up buying a Cavalier. During our search we found that if towing an automatic transmission car or 4X4 the vehicles with the least hassle and restrictions were GM and Jeep. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ian

·
Registered
498 Posts
Tow rig

I have a Suzuki XL-7 They reccomend this for towing behind a motor home. It is one ot the adds in the brochere. All you have to do is put the transfer case in neutral to tow it. It is also a pretty nice little rig for the bucks. Comes with everything standard, leather, 6 changer CD. Sun Roof, and 4x4. had to drive it over the pass to Portland in the bad snow storms great on the snow in 4 wheel.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Towing the Explorer

Fred, My brother in law tows his Explorer behind his RV all the time. Good RV Parts place should have a kit to do this with. The mod for your Explorer lets disconnect the drive line for towing. Its engaged and dis-engaged via lever inside the car. According to him fairly easy self install. He has since gone to towing a smaller lighter vehicle because the Ford pushed him quite a bit going down hills and is a little hard on the milage.
He has a 34' Monaco with dual slides and a Ford V-10 for power.

Leroy....................................

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Fred, for towing a vehicle with auto tranny,

one needs a vehicle with a neutral postion in the transfer case/four wheel drive control. It also appears that conversion kits are available for some vehicles.

For a stick, just put it in neutral.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jon, that would work ... I just prefer not ..

to have all that added weight behind the MH.

Renting a full car 'dolly' from U Haul was/is one of my options .. but would prefer 'not to go there.'
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts