Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to spey fishing and I am looking for a 7 wt rod that I can use for big water trout in Alaska (Kenai, Naknek,Kvichik) some steelhead (where ever I can) and maybe even some trout fishing where I live in Colorado, although I know it will be a bit heavy for that.
I don't really want to spend $700 for a sage, scott etc so I'd like to know thoughts on CND, Loop, Lamiglas, Flylogic etc.

Thanks
Dennis

·
Registered
498 Posts
Trout Spey

Dennis

Most manufactures are getting into the trout spey game. This coming weekend we are having a get together on the Deschutes to try some. I am not sure when CND Juro will have the Spey Trackers out, but they have a 1306, and 1307. Loomis has the 13'4" Metolius, Sage has the 1206, And Bob Meiser has his line of trouter speys. 12'6" 5/6 11'4" 6/7 11'7" 5/6 plus several 7 weight rods. TFO has a 12'6" 6.

As you can see there are several to choose from. All these rods are under $500.

Skilly

·
Registered
267 Posts
7wt's

One of the best 7WT's out there is the CND custom 1307SP. I cant say enough about this rod. I use it for GL brown trout and steelhead. Also for smallies and inland trout as well. This rod works great with floating lines as well as sink tips. It has plenty of reserve power for tossing larger flies on sink tips yet still feels incredibly light so you can fish it all day and not fell like you lost the fight the next day.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome to the Board

Dennis

Another option to look at, and a Board Sponsor, is the meiser line of rods. I have two of his rods, the S2H136 for 7/8. This is ideal, in my estimation, for the Deschutes. Most of the steelhead run 4-12 pounds with high water flows. There is the occasional Idaho B run that is in the river for the colder water and these can run 10-20+ pounds. On the more trout side is the 11' 7" for 5/6. This is a very nice rod for float tubing. With a Skagit style head you can toss large streamers. It would be a little light for the 10+ pound fish in high flows.

Bob will send demo rods for you to try. If you have a chance, get to one of the "claves" and try out a number of rod and line combinations to see what works best for you. Also, if you are new to spey casting get some instruction ASAP. That will shorten the learning curve and reduce the frustration.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Dennis...

If you would like to "test drive" a CND Custom1307SP on your home waters please let me know. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Might also look at Gary Anderson rods - he has two 13' rods- a 5/6/7 and a 6/7/8 that both would work as a 7 wt and are sweet rods - standard and delux with costs in the vicinity of $350 to $500 I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts