Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. so whats the deal with Thompson steelhead? I have been reading the post above about backing capacity and everybody out west keeps mentioning Thompson steelhead. Is it the swift currents that makes playing them a trick? Or have they developed into some sort of super steelhead through years of evolution in order to cope in the fast currents?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thompson

What I noticed most was the width of their tails. The biggest I caught was around 19 lbs, and in the picture the tail is just as wide as my head from top to bottom - with beard and hat!
Almost all of them take a pretty good run right on hookup, and it's a very big river.
In the evolution they had to make it up through Hells Canyon of the Frasier, then a lot of whitewater in the Thompson.

-Vinnie in Juneau

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
regional differences

wayvik said:
They do not have to be large fish to give you a run for your money. Hooked several fish at top of Coopers and had 150-200 yds of line out while chasing them down to the bay. 14- 16 lb fish.

It's funny how the different regions have their definition of big fish. For us here in the Great Lakes a 15lb fish would almost certainly guarantee that you were the biggest swingin' d%$& for at least a couple of weeks. Not many fish in that class usually show up for us. Around here we see a lot of 10lb and smaller fish. Occasionally, there are fish that weigh somewhere in the high teens but those are only a handful every season. Make sure that you guys appreciate your "small" 14 & 15lb fish!! :hihi:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Everything is big. The fish, the river, the country, the rocks and the surprizingly long distance from one pool to another. Arguably the biggest and strongest of the specie. Definitely the toughest wading you will ever encounter. A good staff and aluminum on your feet will make things a lot easier. This is a very small, very special run of Steelhead. Don't bother going, if numbers are your thing.

Regards,

Garry

·
Registered
200 Posts
A few years back, I met a guy from Finland fishing on the Thompson. He told me that it was his third trip without landing a fish. He had managed to hook and loose a good fish on his first trip, and he was hooked in return. The county, the beauty of the river, the camaraderie of the pub in the evening, make any Thompson expedition a memorable experience. Catch a fish and the experience will remain with you forever.

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Getting Stoked!!!

It's funny how life works sometimes...I just booked my flight out west for my fall trip, with visions of the Thompson(nevermind the Salmon, the Olympic Peninsula, the Sky, the Skagit, etc) in my brain. This will be my first trip to the "T," and all of the stories from friends(A big thanks to Anderson for the invite!!!) and now this site are keeping me awake at night :Eyecrazy:

After living in Jackson,Wy for years, and moving back to Michigan(I've been back for 2years now), I long to see the mountains again, swinging flies on the long rod, under the canopy of huge mountains, with a cool breeze, and the Aspens aglow with their fall splender...to say that I will be impatiently waiting this month, Sept. and early Oct. would be a huge understatement!!! I guess I will have to drink plenty of single malt to get to sleep these next few months!!! :saeek:

Tight lines and pleasant dreams of chromers!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bee said:
I am admitting to being, apparently, way out of touch on the thompson status..has it reopened to steelhead fishing. Was closed at one point? thanks
Both. The last two, ( maybe three ), years it has been closed due to the apparent very low return numbers and then subsequently, ( a few weeks later ), opened due to the pressure of local businesses. With the resource so depressed I've not had it in me to go these last few years.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There has only been partial closures on Thompson, as of yet it has not been closed for a full season. I hope to see the returns justify an opening sometime in October this year but if the local salmon returns are anything to go by, I may be hoping beyond hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts