Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a Steelhead junkie thats looking to fish the thompson for the first time. I know that you must stay at spences bridge, but im a lil concerned about the season. IDK where to find out when it opens or even if it opens. I was also hoping to get some advise on a run or two that are known places that hold fish.

Thanks
Mar Bove

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Kid.
You are at the place to find all the information that you are seeking. There are alot of nice runs along the length of the community and once you are there you will be able to see what i mean. Talk to the lad at the Petro as he seems to know every body and has a lot of knowledge about the river. I have the number for Acacia Grove(??) campground and cottages if you need it.
DO NOT fish without a set of cleats!!! Others will echo this I'am sure. Very Very tough river to wade!!
I am sure that those in the know will post when the season and the runs become more clear. Just stay tuned.
Dwayne.
aka Salmon Chaser

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
stuff to know about the Thompson

1. Yes, the river is open for fall 2006 but so far the numbers look low.

2. The PetroCanada gas station and eatery are now closed so make sure you gas up before you arrive.

3. Vicky's (River's Edge Restaurant) on Hwy 1 just downstream of the Graveyard Pool is the best in town but it is also closed as the owners had to leave suddenly due to a family emergency. Don't know if or when it will open again this season.

4. Shaw Springs Restaurant (between Spences Bridge and Lytton) is open 7 am-noonish and serves a good breakfast.

5. Rumours Restaurant in Spences Bridge is open but you'll need to check the hours. Have had breakfast and dinner there within the last few months and the food was good.

6. The Log Cabin Pub has good beer and also serves pizza, hot dogs, etc. Most of the steelheaders stop in for a pint in the evening so it is a good place to find out if you are the only angler who didn't catch a fish today. :)

Once you're there you'll notice where all the fly guys are--fish there as those are the runs that fish the fly well. Art Lingren's Thompson River Journal published by Amato is a good resource.

Fishing the Thompson is like any other steelhead river, except that the river is huge, the wading dangerous and the steelhead are few and far between--it is not uncommon to go a week or more without a hookup.

·
Banned
289 Posts
I just received a report on the Thompson River in the Kamloops area-I am told that the river is so low now that there is many places that a person can actually walk across the river.Has anyone seen or heard of the water conditions around Spences Bridge.As I live in Vedder crossing the Vedder is still low even with all the rain that we have been getting.The river does come up a little and then drops again just as fast.

harley

·
Registered
234 Posts
was up there earlier this week...it's very very low, not often it get this low this time of the year.... even at this very low level there isn't anywhere you can wade across the river around spences bridge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
water level T

Gauge reading is .08 "Frog water" on grave yard. I don't like it when the river gets below 1.0 and prefer it around 1.5 as it sends away the soft anglers. Temp is great at 13 C so whats around is looking up! I think they should reverse this closed season process. The river should be open and closed later in the season if the run is week. The gear guys hook many fish over and over in the late season as the river shrinks and the fish pile up in the same spots.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Was just at the T for three days.. In 22 years fishing it I dont think I have seen it this low! As I recall. Some of the spots I usually hook fish look like football fields of dry rocks. The graveyard looked like a slow bathtub.I certainly cannot cast far enough to fish that run... Was sucessfull hitting some small pocket water, with very short casts! Just nice to be on the water there again. Greg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts