Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a sage 7141 and was wondering if would be undergunned on the thompson with it, i have limited experience on the river, still fishless by the way, and wasn't sure.

Cody

·
Registered
141 Posts
7WT ROD ON THE tHOMPSON

A few years ago, I met a fellow in Russia that was fishing for, and landing, Atlantic salmon on two weight rods. That doesn't mean that you could do it, or that it is good for the fish that you area supposed to be releasing in good shape.
Also it is my understanding that 10 wt rods are now being used for big tarpon, instead of the 12 wt that were used a few years ago. They just don't try to land them: break 'em off after 30 or 40 minutes of fun. That may be better for the fish!
Most people will probably recommend that you use something bigger, but if that's what you have, it's not against the law ( I think)

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Cody!

I think line weight is variable when it comes to the Thompson. The considerations are wind, casting/fishing distance, size of the fish, and an interest in landing them quickly. For these reasons I very seldom go below a 9 weight on the river, and most often choose a 10 or 11. I've landed 18 lb T-fish on the old 7136, but the 7141 is a more powerful rod and seems more like an 8 wt to me, so I think it might be a better choice for lightline fishing on the Thompson.

Have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, i have a 9141 also and will probably mainly use it but i was just wondering if the 7141 would be too small of a stick, thanks again.

Cody

1 - 5 of 5 Posts