Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't hear much talk about the new Thomas and Thomas spey rods. Anyone fish them besides me? I've been fishing the 13' #7 DNA, 12' #8 XD, 10' #8 TNT switch. I love them all but seem to really dig on the 12' XD. A local fly shop in Corvallis, Oregon carries T&T spey rods now and I was able to check out some other models. They seem all very nice with distinct actions and top self components. Nice to have a local fly shop who carries them. Hard to find Thomas and Thomas spey rods on the West Coast. Curious what other people think of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thomas & Thomas rods

I have a 13' 3 9 wt DNA XF. My favorite scandi rod as well as great on
the beach with a Rio Outbound.

Nicest cosmetics of any rod I own.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've never thrown one, but I would love to cast yours in a couple weeks when I get home :hihi:
I've been thinking about adding the 1208 XD to my quiver, but not before I cast one

Nick

·
slipped away to grey...
739 Posts
The only two I have fished are the 1167 and 1338 XD sticks and I really like them both.

Very efficient design allowing you to fish big heavy flies on fast sinking heads and tips with very minimal effort.

They aren't clunky like some other rods of this nature I have used, very smooth loading rod that generates a lot of power and line speed. Other brands "skagit" rods basically do not flex in the upper 2/3 of the blank and seem to have like a hinge point where the rod flexes and you draw from a short section of blank for power, the XD series while still very stiff up top, take advantage of a larger section of the taper to draw power from and are just much more pleasant to fish in my opinion...

The fit and finish is second to none.

I would really like to get a mid belly full sinker for the 1338 to try, so far just skagit heads on both rods.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've had the 1167XF for a couple of seasons now. it is a better rod than their older models IMO. the Newer line flexes easily but still has very fast recovery and therefore line speed. Lighter and a bit snazzier than the older models as well. my only complaint would be the label of XF. it is only XF in comparison to the XD. not really a fast rod though.

i use a wide range of lines on it from longer skagits to scandi lines to a Delta and find it handles them all well. my fav would be the Airflo compact scandi @ 29' and 390 and the NW skagit 6/7 @ 30' and 440.

As mentioned the fit and finish are second to none. I also find that a small company that designs and makes the blanks themselves as well as building out the finished rod really appeals to me. attention to detail in every aspect.

for versatility i really love the 10' switches too. recently i had the blessing to use the same rod to overhead cast for Musky to, later that same day, spey cast it for steelhead. i thought 10 would be a little short for spey casting well but i was totally wrong about that. with the right lines it's a joy to fish smaller water with or just low water on bigger streams. i typically use the compact scandi 360 for spey casting and a 350 grain full sink shooting head for overhead toothy fishing. extremely versatile rod. even use it for carp fishing with a bass line. loads quick, is nice and bendy on a good fish and the lower handle makes a killer fighting butt.

same day, same rod.

earlier this year-

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
T&t

I absolutely LOVE these rods. Would be great to hear some more feedback on the people who fish them. Would be great to hear the lines and models people are fishing. I personally feel their 10' switch rods are top in the industry. Full flexing rods land fish:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dna xf

I´ve got a 7# 12´6 and I love it, even when the first salmon I hooked this year made made it a 6 piece model. After 3 months I got it back and I´m happy about it. I use Zpey fusion compact lines on that rod in #8 (27gr) and a Polyleader, so it is something around 470grains for scandi casting.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a few of them.

10'x8wt switch
10' x 5wt switch
12' x 8wt XD

They were expensive but I wanted something extra nice and they are.

* Appreciate the tapers, workmanship and components.

* Like the huge grain windows,sporty feel and versatility.

* Use spey shooting heads

* Also like the fit of the ferrules and the handle shape of the switch rods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts