Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you used this rod off the beach? If, so with what lines, and how did it work for that pupose?
I'm thinking about using it here in Florida for Snook, and occassionally Tarpon, when they're chasing bait off the beach; thought about using a Rio Outbound 12wt with the rod, and am wondering if anyone else has tried this.
Thanks

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I just picked one up for ripping steamers for early kings in the lower rivers here in West MI, and a Florida trip in January. I have tried the Rio Max 30ft 400grain (10wt) heads, and Airflo 38ft 12wt heads on it. LOVE IT. From a boat or a pier I can throw the head and nearly a whole spool of shooting line with ease. I hear alot of people touting the 38ft heads, they do cast nicely, but the 30ftr's fit my casting stroke alot better. I had it in the surf casting into a stiff wind last week, the distance drops alot, but its still surprising how far it goes given the conditions, with a heavier load it should do better. Both the heads I have tried are a pretty light load on it. I would highly recommend this rod for overhead 2 handing. Its alot like the T&T 1208 spey in its fish fighting ability, except it stiffens up alot about 2/3rds the way up the blank, more like a one handed taper, gives it the extra "snap" that casting speys overhead lacks, also seems to give it alot more lifting ability, good for turning fish and digging a type 8 head out of the abyss. Again, I would highly recommend this rod.

If you can wait until the first of the year and feel like driving down to the keys you try mine out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I worked with Tom Dorsey at T & T in the development of this rod, back in '99 I think.

It was developed specifically for fishing the beach and surf with an overhead cast. At the time, 30' shooting heads were the most commonly available, and so I specified that it be built around 30' 12-weight shooting heads, and it will work fine with any of them. My all-time favorite line for it was an AirFlo 11-weight 45-footer which I had cut back to 37'.

I think it will work fine for your application with the OutBound lines in either 11 or 12-weight.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the rod, and I just love it, throwing big streamers for huchen is fun. I like the feeling of confidence what I get carrying this "big stick" on the river.:roll:
I haven't tried too much lines on it, I use the rod with Vision ACE spey 9/10shooting heads in type 6/7 sinking, and floating versions.I wish I could use it more...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.