Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone out there with experience with T+T give some input to the differences between the 1309 and the 1409. Is there an advantage to the additional foot or significant differences in the taper ?

Thanks
Gillie

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The 1309 and 1409 are pretty similar in action. Both are fast, mid-weight line, progressive loading rods that work best with 8/9 lines (unless you want to use a long belly GS or XLT, then you need to drop to the 7/8). I prefer the 1409 for the extra foot of length. Although a foot doesn't sound like much in a 2-hand rod, it provides a significant difference in ease of aerializing longer lengths of line and in line control after the cast. However, if I were fishing smaller rivers where casts are under 70', I'd opt for the 1309 because it is easier to fit under tree branches, etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used to have a 1309 it was too fast in my opinion but i learned to throw it.. it handled the 7-8-9 windcutter and it cast a DT salmon 9wt very nicely

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fly Tyer,
Do you feel that the 1309 can handle sink tips well ? Usually 15' tips but occasionally Big Boys. Casting range will usually fall into the 70 - 75 foot range.

I know from previous posts that you are a fan of T+T and similair rods. I've had a chance to cast these and really like the feel of them. I'm just making sure that they can do what I need

Gillie

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used the 1309 for 8 days on the Babine fishing mostly tips and unweighted flies.. the tips i believe were 90 grain type 3 and type 6 all 15 footers.. I never used anything longer or heavier and i haven't owned the rod for a few years now but I cannot recall it lacking the power to throw heavier or longer.. come to think of it i guess i did use some heavier tips on it.. the 150 grain type 6... I know it cast at least that much..

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Like Roballen said, the 1309 will have no problem casting tips, including Big Boys up to 400 gr if you take out tips 1 and 2 of the Windcutter. Remember if you don't take out both tip 1 and 2 of the Windcutter, a full length Big Boy will badly overload the rod. The casting range you are looking at is well withing the capability of the 1309.

Yes, I really like the T&T and GLX rods. they have fast recovery, are relatively stiff rods, have a good strong tip, a powerful butt, and progressively load furthur down the blank with increasing casting load. Also, there are a lot of folks out there who really like the fast 2-handers made by T&T.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
I put my hands on a T&T 1409 today at Aarons shop and cast it with an 8/9 SD (I believe...so many lines and rods I can't keep track anymore.) This thing was easy to cast and oh so light in the hands and POWERFUL! Did I mention it was cannon. :Eyecrazy: Although I was not casting tips today, I seriously doubt you will have any problems. :D

Vinnie

·
Registered
630 Posts
I picked up that same 1409, although when I cast it I think it had the 9/10 snowbee 2D (62' head) line. Man, what a rocket launcher I really started to get into it with that rod. used this rod as a demo about 7 years ago on the HoH river for two weeks could have bought it for 300$ but didn't, what was I thinking :confused: Now I wish I had one for the collection!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Gillie,
I've got the 1409 and that's all I ever use down at the Island on the Genny. No problem with any tips that I've needed down there. I'm thinking that I know you. I'm one of Mike A's LOSA buds. If you are who I think you are you must of cast Mikes 1409 before he went to the DB? Anyway...if you run into me down there I'll let you give her a try. I'll be the short guy dredging the trench with my tips and copper tube flies.
tight lines
dave

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dmas,
I ended up getting the1309 it was lighter in the hand and seemed to handle tips well. I've been fishing it for about a month and love it. Maybe I'll see you down onthe Genny.

Gillie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts