Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the T&T 1307-3. I wanted a somewhat shorter, lighter rod than my Sage DS 9140. I cast it a few times with a line that was a bit light for it and even then I could feel that this stick has good feel and what seems like a lot of reserve power. The line I plan to couple with it is the Rio WC with tips 6/7/8, with the WC upgrade should I choose to go with a longer belly. Anyone out there have any experience with this rod? Any and all words of wisdom are well appreciated. Thanks.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
lines

The WC678 will work well with the T&T 1307-3 but the addition of the upgrade belly would probably overload the rod. I would go with a midspey or the 6/7 XLT line. But then I prefer the longer belly lines.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
I second JD's comments on the Windcutter upgrade. I have this rod and love it. My suggestion would be either the 6/7 Midspey or the 6/7 Delta Long. Both are a pleasure to cast on the 1307. The 6/7 Delta Long is hard to find but well worth it.

I didn't cast it last week but there was a 1307 with the XLT at the Spey Clave last weekend. One of the board regulars and a very good caster said he was not impressed with the combo. Personally, I see no need for the XLT/Grandspey type lines on shorter 6 and 7 weight rods. But maybe that is just me.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Sinktip,

I've cast the 1307 with the XLT and I would never do so again. Like you, I would not use the XLT or GrandSpey (which is a line I love) on rods shorter than 15 feet because you have to work too hard to keep them aerialized on the 13 and 14 foot rods. I will probaly get myself a T&T 1307 within a year (I've decided to get a 1509 first by this summer), and I will use the 6/7 MidSpey or Delta long on it because either is a sweet combination on this rod.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Lovely little Jewel In T&T Crown.

I have on and cast it from time to time.
The 6/7 XLT is a bit much and I would be afraid that it would cause permanent damage.
If is not for the unconscious habit we all have to attempt to cast the entire head.
The 6/7 Midspey and Longdelta are just fine for the rod.
The 6/7/8 Windcutter cast good but seemed to be a tad heavy for the rod.
The 6/7 XLT line weighs in 790 grains for 90 ft. or about 8.7 grains per foot.
The 6/7 Midspey weighs in at 490 grains for 65 ft. or about 7.3 grains per foot.
The 6/7/8 Windcutter weighs in 455 grains for 54 ft. or about 8.4 grains per foot.
The 6/7 Longdelta weighs in at 500 grains for 61.6 ft. or about 8.1 grains per foot.

As you can see that the Midspey seems to be the lightest per foot.
This line seems to fit the rod about the best.

I hope this helps

:smokin:

·
JD
3,609 Posts
XLT line

The 6/7 XLT line weighs in 790 grains for 90 ft. or about 8.7 grains per foot.

If that were true that would have the XLT weighing in at 570 grains at 65 ft. Because of the XLT's extremely long front taper, trying to figure out the grain weight at any one point is not feasable without knowing the exact measurements of the line.

All that aside, I will concede that a 65 ft head (at the rod tip) coupled to a 13 ft leader would put the fly at about 90 ft from the reel. Many would argue that is good enough for a rod like this.

I just happen to like the long belly lines. And I trust Dr. Yin's recommendations on this this one. http://www.flyfishusa.com/lines/mastery-xlt-compatability.html

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
If is not for the unconscious habit we all have to attempt to cast the entire head.
The Quote is the only problem that I see with the XLT and for that fact the Grandspey.
By trying to cast the whole line (IMHO) you would over load this little rod .

JD
Point well taken.
The information that I listed came from Bruce Richards of 3M I believe that Dr. Yin is on his advisory board and helped with the development of the lines.

:)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Midspey 6/7

Just an FYI-

Don't believe Rio on this one- the head length of the midspey 6/7, from tip to back of rear taper, is 57' making it an average of nearly 8.6 grains per foot. Right in the ballpark of the other lines listed.

William

·
JD
3,609 Posts
giving credit where credit is due

Dr. Way Yin, Steve Choate and many of their friends in the Pacific Northwest were the true developers of the XLT line. And I imagine the cost of buying, cutting and splicing the many lines before comming up with something they were satisfied with must have been staggering. Dr. Yin went shopping for someone to produce these lines so that we would not have to waste a lot of time and money doing what they did. Scientific Anglers cooperated and between them and Dr. Yin, further refined the series. Dr. Yin is, think, on Scott's pro staff or development team. And I suppose it safe to say also on Scientific Anglers team.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback. I'll start by casting the WC 6/7/8 on the rod. If I like the way it feels, I'll go with that. If I think a longer belly is needed, I'll stick the WC upgrade in there. We'll see what happens. Report to follow...

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I'm counting .... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts