Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got my Rio Scandinavian 11/12 head, and I tried to put it on my Steelfin XFR reel. The reel is 4.6 inches LA and presently holds 300 yards of Gudebrod SST 44lb GsP and a special running line 120 feet long which is 200lb GsP braid stuffed with 10kg mono, its very thin stuff and I can get about half of the Rio head on the reel. I don't have a reel it will fit unless I remove the backing. Simon, what happens now. I'll probably have to get a 6 inch Alvey boat reel to hold this monster. VBG. Max

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As has been pointed out here several times over the years, extreme large arbor reels do not make good spey reels. That Steelfin model barely holds a WF9F and 200yds of 30# Micron. It has simply not got enough capacity for any speyline over a 6/7 weight. There are a lot of 4.5" reels that will hold more than enough backing for your purposes, but the Steelfin XFR isn't one of them.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I know that but, it will hold the backing load and the running line on it plus 70 feet of a sinking DT 12# line. I was mildly suprised to find that I could only get half the Rio head on it. I guess I'm going to have to remove something or get my OF LA88 back home. Max

1 - 3 of 3 Posts