Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Gold-green Reeach, just for you Matt!!

Went for the vintage look.

Thanks for the inspiration,

-Bill

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
oh Bill!

That's freaking awesome. That body and hackle is the shiz! That is very nice:eek: You went long side out on the wings yes?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thanks so much, Matt!

Actually, the wings are kind of bunched and crunched! The way I've been tying my wings on speys for a while now is known as the Veniard's method (thanks again for the info Russ). A strip from the left and right, twice as wide as what you want your final width to be, lay one on top of the other, align them and square them up a bit, start a fold down the middle, and tie 'em on! Works great.

As for this fly, I did the same thing, except, after the fold I kind of bunched and twisted it all, then stroked them back into somewhat of a wing shape. Those classic speys on Collin's site do not have sleek, sexy, low wings like we are accustomed to seeing, and I was going for that look.

Thanks again for the inspiration and keep those great ties coming!

-Bill

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Yeah - if you where going for that nostalgic note on this one I say you hit just right. If it wasn't for the hook I might've guessed truly vintage.

Nice spey Bill. I have tried something like what you describe and it may have been the Veniard-method - sounds familiar to something a came across a while back. Personally prefer single slips - but - this wing does look good on there.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
I try to make my wings as high as the ones on Collins site just prettier, those have all been fished many times over so I assume that I mine were wet a ton they might look like those... Good show either way!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts