Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last trip out swinging the big rod I stood there and looked at the old drift boat. It brought back some really good memories. Did a little writing about it https://cabinoneblog.wordpress.com/2015/02/12/this-old-boat/.

The best thing about thinking about 30 year old boat is all the memories that it brings back. My brother, My Dad and My buddies in a beautiful spots. Chasing a fish and building memories. So many good times. It is old and not perfect but all the imperfection give it character.

Hope you all have fishing boats that bring back memories like mine.

JJ
https://cabinoneblog.files.wordpress.com/

Attachments

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,496 Posts
You sell yourself short on the oars. You did nail the trailer backing though :hihi:

That pic brings back good memories. That was a special day even without the two fish landed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This will be my fourth season with a 14' pacific style power dory I built. It is not perfect but I enjoy every minute spent fishing with it or maintaining it. Stripped down she floats in about 2" of water. This being the land of the deep vee most folks can't believe the places I can get into.

I have my sights set on building a 16' Garvey with jet drive next, remote with front and rear casting decks. That will have to wait until I finish my masters.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Boats in your blood

I too have had a few boats spanning the years from adolescent to present. Currently a drift boat in the driveway & toon hanging in the garage. At times I've pondered selling one or the other. Most likely, it'll be the toon. Memories attached to toons are practically non existent, whereas even an anchored boat is special.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Gary,
Beautiful Classic, what are the restorations needed ?

Regards,
sixheads

·
Registered
757 Posts
My clack is 30 years old too! It has over 40 trips down the Deschutes, but also has spent time on the Yakima and Klickitat. For years, I only floated from Trout Creek to Maupin on the Deschutes and fished for trout, usually during the salmonfly hatch or near Father's Day. I too have taken my dad and brother-in-law with me. In recent years, the focus has been on steelhead and I do multiple trips each year. This photo is from last October.

The boat looks much better in the water because not as many scratches show. It literally swallows gear; clothing dry bags go in the front, food in the front seat compartment that I converted to a cooler. Sleeping bags go in a dry bag under the rowers' seat and kitchen gear goes in the back compartment. Food, tents, cots, chairs, table, and the BBQ grill go behind the rower's seat.

Last season Tom Larimer moved into our camp as we were leaving and said he recognized "Mark's old boat." We also waved to Marty Howard as we floated by.

I too am not the strongest rower on the river. It's all about reading the water, anticipating, and adjusting.

Mark

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
This post tossed me back several years.

My clack is 30 years old too! It has over 40 trips down the Deschutes, but also has spent time on the Yakima and Klickitat. For years, I only floated from Trout Creek to Maupin on the Deschutes and fished for trout, usually during the salmonfly hatch or near Father's Day. I too have taken my dad and brother-in-law with me. In recent years, the focus has been on steelhead and I do multiple trips each year. This photo is from last October.

The boat looks much better in the water because not as many scratches show. It literally swallows gear; clothing dry bags go in the front, food in the front seat compartment that I converted to a cooler. Sleeping bags go in a dry bag under the rowers' seat and kitchen gear goes in the back compartment. Food, tents, cots, chairs, table, and the BBQ grill go behind the rower's seat.

Last season Tom Larimer moved into our camp as we were leaving and said he recognized "Mark's old boat." We also waved to Marty Howard as we floated by.

I too am not the strongest rower on the river. It's all about reading the water, anticipating, and adjusting.

Mark
Physical condition/health doesn't allow me much in the way of fishing at this point, but those trips with "Mr. Doggie-Dog" were seminal experiences. Amazing the ongoing conversations you can have with "Mr. Doggie-Dog." Some of the best business decisions I've ever made were with him in the boat.

Couple of phone calls from Executive Admin. Assts: 'Mr. Evans my name is and Mr. xyz needs a time out, who would you suggest for a Guide?'

'Me, or a couple of other guys I know.'

'He chose me.' Had a hell of a good time, both of us. There was 'No rank in the Corporate Food Chain in a drift boat, well the Dog.' Weeks worth of 'stuff' stuffed in the drift boat, tent on the beach, fire (and even 'SomeMores!), a couple of bottles of good Single Malt ... Ice out of the cooler was questionable. But what the hell: "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Tuck him into his tent with the Dog, snuff snort (which one?), off to dreamland. Pancakes, eggs, sauges, coffee in the morning. Face over your shoulder as you pan fried a slab of fresh caught fish ... his.

'How do you think fishing will be today?' 'Well fishing will be good, catching is another subject.' Guy laughed like hell, the slap on the back so hard it almost knocked me off my feet.

Talked about "Shoes and Ships and Cabbages are Kings," and little in the way of 'business.' If it came up, he brought it up.

One comment really stuck with me: 'I was told you really are different when it comes to business, a hand shake is enough.' 'Yes Sir, if you need a contract you are dealing with someone you can't trust?' Well there was some paper work: Type of home loan, size of loan, that kind of stuff.

'What's it going to cost me to get you to move to Corporate Headquarters?'

'There is no price Sir, waving my hand slowly, "This is how I grew up, and it will be the same for my kids when I get some."

My 'Pay Cheque' damned near doubled. He understood. Several trips with him/Corporate Staff, one was a disaster ... NOT HIM!! ... well, a disaster. Guy was a total out of control drunk. :saeek::saeek::saeek:

'How did it go?' 'Please don't ask me that question.'

"Freddie, TALK TO ME!!!"

Found out, by accident, I was called "Freddie" at Corporate.

Interesting to find, short of doing something really 'illegal/seriously stupid,' you were a 'Protected Specie.' I did neither.

"You really don't care what my status is in the Corporation do you? No Sir I don't, get your plate, brakfast will be ready in a couple of minutes. Lunch stuff is over there, go make us some sandwiches. 'Dog-Dog' will want one too."

·
Registered
757 Posts
Good story as usual Fred. What river were you floating/guiding? I forgot to mention that my more recent trips are from Mack's Canyon or Rattlesnake to the mouth. I enjoy the broader canyon, no homes, and to be able to camp and fish on both sides of the river. Not to mention that when you hit the big water at the end of the trip, the boat is empty of water, ice, food, beer, and wine. It is much more maneuverable than just downstream of the launch.

We took my parent's dog one time and she got nailed on the end of her snout by a big snake that was in the grass. Thought that we were going to lose her, but she pulled through. Never have nor will I take one of my dogs down there. They aren't happy when I start packing, but I don't want to go through that again!

Mark

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Drift boat memories ? Yep. Here's one from last fall that will stick w me and the old man forever. This was on the mighty Muskegon. Crazy deer swam across the river and back, twice, each time coming directly over to the boat. I've had some close encounters bow hunting, but this was the closest I've ever been to a wild whitetail.

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
This will be my fourth season with a 14' pacific style power dory I built. It is not perfect but I enjoy every minute spent fishing with it or maintaining it. Stripped down she floats in about 2" of water. This being the land of the deep vee most folks can't believe the places I can get into.
Love that Dory Dan! I wish we could run wooden sleds in the PNW.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am in the beginning stages of another build. Same boat but will be using 2-by instead of 1-by for the frames. I will bump the sides up to 1/2" ply and the bottom will have a 1/2" UHMW skid shoe. A lot of the rocks in the rivers around here are very sharp. They are hell on the bottom of a wood/glass boat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts