Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any ideas on thinning out some Aquaseal. Or a substance similar to it that is thinner?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Any

point store would have it. However, use it in a well ventilated area.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
most any mineral solvent will work for small projects like wader patching and loop building. I use lacquer thinner because I always have some around the house

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will Acetone do it? I have a huge can for removing the coating and splicing lines.

I am looking for something to coat the tips of brass tubes to avoid using a liner.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
acetone is a wonderful Aquaseal thinner, and I only avoid it in situations (e.g. waders, flylines) where I am concerned that the acetone will eat into plastics.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Jamey, how do you plan to coat the tubes? I have a supply of various diameter brass, copper and aluminun tubing but for the life of me can't seem to get the ends smooth enough to avoid damaging the leader, and no one makes plastic tuing small enough to fit inside. Very interested in your process.

Colin

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found some q-tips that make great liners. I was just going to dip each end in the aquaseal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have tubes that are same diameter as Q tips, need something to help them. I'll try the thinning and dipping process.

Colin

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HMH makes a "micro tube", 0.042 OD I believe. Or try your local hobby shop, I went to pick up some more aluminum this evening and saw they have a ton of different sizes of plastic.

$1.79 for 36in of 1/8in. aluminum, and $0.99 for 200 Q-tip liners. Seems silly to tie on anything else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts