Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be doing a bunch of loop systems soon and can't remember what it is that one uses to thin Aquaseal for coating the braided loops?

I know it's a common practice,but could anyone tell me what I need(to thin it down) besides Aquaseal?

Thanks.

·
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher
23 Posts
Better living thru chemistry?!

Keep a window open...ventilation helps prevent Drain Bramage!
A cheap lifetime supply or a costly Cotol-240 alternative (convenient/stylish glass bottle)...
Mix 1 part toluene with 2 - 3 parts Aquaseal...
Set up time will be an hour or two +/- ...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Penguin forgot to mention his preferred application method. That is, pour a small amount of the toluene into a sturdy paper bag, place the loop into the bag and immersed in the stuff. Now here is the important part of Pete's system - firmly press the opening of the bag around your face and keep an eye on the loop as it sets up. Two minutes of checking every twenty minutes should suffice..

Aphter a phew of theze loopz you too will think every day is Saturday and will phit right in at the phamous Area 61 on Cape Cod (the Phar Side)... :smokin:

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
You can also use Propyl acetate, used as a nail polish cleaner.
Instead Aqaseal you can use commonly available Goop glue( very thick) which has the same formula as Aquaseal ( polyurethane glue).In this case ( for loops) use about 1 volume part of Goop and 1-2 part of Toluene or Propyl acetate, depending how think mixture you want.

Salmo

·
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher
23 Posts
PNW 2-hand technique...

as Kush described...

Attachments

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Penguin -

when you say lifetime supply, can you premix and let the stuff sit around in a sealed container for later use?

·
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher
23 Posts
A lifetime supply of...

toluene solvent...
I've always mixed the two as I go...I don't think the doped Aquaseal "keeps"?!

When Aquaseal is "cut" with toluene it simply forms a thinner more volatile diluted mixture that evaporates much more quickly and sets up in a few hours...
As opposed to waiting overnight for the Aquaseal alone to be ready...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
The following was taken from the atsdr site.
How can toluene affect my health?
Toluene may affect the nervous system. Low to moderate levles can cause tiredness, confusion, weakness, drunken-type actions, memory loss, nausea, loss of appetite, and hearing and color vision loss. These symptoms usually disappear when exposure is stopped.

Inhaling High levels of toluene in a short time can make you feel light-headed, dizzy, or sleepy. It can also cause unconsciousness, and even death.

High levels of toluene may affect your kidneys.

Just say No to this stuff.

I am going to be doing a bunch of loop systems soon and can't remember what it is that one uses to thin Aquaseal for coating the braided loops?
Tony,
Note that memory loss is a side effect of exposure. :Eyecrazy:

·
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher
23 Posts
I was going to say something...

...but I forgot?! :confused:

The mind is a terrible thing to lose! :eek:
...and ANOTHER good reason to just say NO to SOFTEX! :tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone!

I've used the Cotol before(that was what I was thinking of).It came in a package of Aquaseal(about $5 more than just Aquaseal alone) and was described as an accelerating agent to help make it dry faster).

I rememeber it smelled,but not that bad or strong.I mixed the stuff and put it on my loops outside so there was no problem of ventilation and within 1/2 hr they were pretty much set and dry.Unfortunately that little bottle didn't last very long and at least 1/2 of it dried up on me.

Glad to hear there are better alternatives as far as cost goes.

I have both Aquaseal and Marine GOOP and found that the GOOP was really difficult to work with.It is liquid and workable as soon as it comes out of the tube,but begins setting and clumping almost immediately.I couldn't even apply a coating around the nail knots on the base of my loops before it solidified and the only way I could get it to spread around the whole thing was to wet my finger and roll it around like putty.I didn't like the stuff at all compared to Aquaseal(which at least stays workable for quite a while and flows smoothly over whatever surface you put it on instead of clumping),but will try it out again with the thinner.

I certainly would use any of this stuff inside the house in a closed room,but when you do it outside there's little to no risk from the fumes.Of course given the kind of year I've had,maybe I should use it in a closed room. :wink: A little memory loss could do me wonders. :hihi:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Use AquaFlex

a water based coating that works very well in coating loops. This avoids some of the problems with volatile organics.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Ted you and I will save the rest of the members by telling them to USE AQUA FLEX!

You know how those boys are up NORTH!

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
I don't know what Aquaflex is, but I use Loon Soft Head. Is this Aquaflex stuff available at hardware stores?

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
What Penguins picture doesn't show is

the Toluene filled bong in that bag! :smokin:

And when he pulls his face out of the bag it looks like Simonseth's Avatar photo (see above pic).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts