Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Congratulations! Looks like a great crew, really wish I could have made it. Great picture too. Could you post a left to right name list so we can figure out who's who?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes need names with the faces and whats with the dogs ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
A huge thanks to Fred's wife Joan, first of all for giving Fred a place to live. <g> Secondly, for laughing heartily when Way made a demonstration back cast with a full bottle instead of a spey rod. It was friggin' hilarious! Finally, to all the great guys that showed up to share a delightful, enlightening weekend on the Rogue. If you haven't done a clinic with Way and Steve you owe it to yourself.

Left to Right

Steve Choate, Nate Bailey, Way Yin, Rod Krahmer, Mark Nickerson,
John Barrena, Mike Adams, Dave Kelly, Joe Currier, Fred ('Da Man) Evans, Jim Jones, Jere Eshelman

Kneeling

Rick Jorgensen, Mike O'Brien

Licking Chops

Sheba

Reluctantly memorialized

Daisy

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
A big second

Thanks so much to Fred and Dave for putting this thing together. Your efforts are truly appreciated! A very special thanks to Joan for opening up her wonderful home to a group of rowdys!! A huge thanks to Way and Steve for donating their time. They are truly awesome casters but a great caster cannot necessarily teach others. Both Way and Steve have a true understanding of the intricacies of spey casting and fishing. It takes a true master to be able to make a bad cast on demand to show you what you did, then to make a perfect cast to show you what you thought you did!! They taught where you hands needed to be - something often missed by instructors who just tell you what the rod needs to do but not how you should do that! A truly great group of fellow spey nuts!!

Finally a thanks to Dana for putting together the spey board to reach a unique niche of folks that otherwise might never have met!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rick,

Excellent point about thanking Dana for the board, the RR spey clinic would never have happened without his creation. Thanks Dana!

Now on a sad note. You probably won't see Fred posting to the board at least for the next few days as he left for Seattle this morning at 4:30AM to be with his mother in what is probably her final moments.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
glad to hear the Rogue school went well and that the proceeds went to a good cause! It was just these sorts of member-initiated gatherings that I envisioned when I set up the original ISC board, and I'm glad to be able to "help out" with the Spey Clave site.

Troubling to hear the news about Fred's mother. I know you all join with me in wishing him strength during this difficult time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To answer some of the inquiring mind questions:

Q: What's with the dogs?

A: Notice they are not just dogs but well behaved retrievers. One had to be encouraged to leaver her post and join in the picture. The fish on the Rogue get so big that it sometimes requires an extra set of "hands" to tail up the big 'uns!

Q: Did anyone catch any fish?

A: Fred and I hoped someone would make connect with a dim witted steelie that would hang onto a yarn ball all the way to shore but it didn't happen. Quite a number of us had steelies roll at the beautiful green and red blobs. Joe Currier left early for the river on Sunday morning and in a matter of minutes hooked up with a nice fish on an "ugly" Otis bug.

Q: Did anyone bring any good hooch?

A: I can definitely answer in the affirmative on that one. There was some fine wine, provided by Fred, extra fine scotch (three figure stuff, I hear) and Nate brought some excellent Oregon home brew. Nate, where was I when you were passing it out? <g>

Any other inquiring minds out there?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Cook salmon on a grill:

1) simple sizzle - slosh with light olive oil, sprinkle generously with Chef Prudhomme's Redfish Magic. Place fillet in a grilling basket and broil over coals at the proper rate and temperature so that it is moist yet done. Basket lets you keep it off the direct fire of flareups, which will ruin the fish. Serve with pilaf, a kabob of bright red, orange and yellow peppers, onions and a couple grilled shrimp perhaps on the skewer.

2) Old English - melt pure butter and blend Beaver brand horseradish (labelled 'especially for prime rib', white cap blue label) to the consistency of hollandaise. Lay double layer of foil and salmon skin side down on a splat of basting mix above, then cover the fillet thick with the sauce as you finish the grilling process using the grill cover and a can of Luhr Jensen applewood smoking chips in a tunafish can on the side of the coals to generate profuse smoke while grilling. Make sure the rate and temp of cooking produces that fluffy mash with fork texture. Use the remainder as a garnishing sauce. Serve with wild rice, local asparagus and a good Willamette Valley wine.

3) light Teriyaki - get the mix from the PNW book "simply salmon" for the light and thin teriyaki marinade that is great for salmon. Place marinated fillet in a grilling basket. Serve with lightly stir-fried snow peas, sliced baby portabella or oyster mushrooms, soy sprouts, etc - in a light olive oil / ginger / garlic lined pan.

... for starters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts