Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a previous post I mentioned that I had purchased a T&T 1307 and was wondering what line would work best with the rod. I had originally said I was going to cast the 6/7/8 WC line with the rod (possibly with the WC upgrade) but heard from too many "regulars" on this board that I'd be better off with the Midspey 6/7. I was just about ready to load the WC on my reel when I heard little, but persistant, voices telling me (hearing voices is normal, right?) to go with the MS 6/7. I'm glad I did. I took my new rod out for her maiden voyage this am loaded with the MS 6/7. It is a radically different casting rod than my 9140, but in a good way. It's much stiffer, and can punch out line, including heavier tips, like a mother. After about an hour of casting I had a pretty good feel for the rod and line, but I still have a bit of adjusting to do. I had originally thought this would be my "light" summer steelie rod, but now I have a feeling this will be my "all around" stick. It's light, responsive and has tremendous reserve power. As Steve Irwin would say "What a beautie!" And thanks to all the little voices...

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The T&T 1307 is a great light summer rod that can handle 6 or 7 weight tips very well (Iprefer the 6 weight tips). However, is really doesn't have the backbone and power to cast the bigger flies and the heavier tips used in winter.

I use a T&T 1611 in winter and would not consider using a rod smaller than a 9 weight for winter fishing because of the need to cast bigger flies, have faster sinking tips, and the possibility of much bigger fish.

Yes, there is a world of difference between the Sage 9140-4 and the T&T's. And you have found why so many of us recommended the MidSpey over the Windcutter. Tight lines.

·
Registered
889 Posts
BFR-

I agree that the rod will serve very well as an all around stick. Don't worry about the T&T being too light- I have not fished anything bigger than a #7 spey rod for winter fish for several years now. No need.

The only trouble that 'little' rod is going to give you will be with a large fish (upper teens or more), but what a nice bit of trouble have!

William

·
Registered
5 Posts
New T & T rod

Hello BFR!

Met you in the parking lot this morning right after you had finished practice. Turns out it was a great day to be on the water. As proof I offer up the following image...

Tight lines

Dal

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dal---looks like I should have been actually FISHING and not just casting--nice steelie!

Many people think that you have to have a 9 weight to cast big tips and to have the ability to land fish in the high teens. While casting this rod yesterday, I was throwing a type 6 (I don't fish with anything heavier in the winter) with a fairly large marabou tube fly, just to really put the stick to the test. It performed well. As for needing a 9 weight to land fish in the high teens, I would tend to disagree. These rods fish a lot bigger than their line weight would lead you to believe as many of us can testify. You can really lay the wood to bigger fish with two-handers, just on the basis that you are working with quite a long lever arm, but fish of less than ten pounds still have a fighting chance. Would I try to tackle chinooks in the 30#-plus range with this rod---no. But steelies in the high teens and even up to the holy grail range of 20#--yes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts