Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me there is nothing better than getting a fish to comeback. One of my most memorable fish this year was one that boiled on my surface fly. I was fishing a long run with no obvious buckets. I was about half way down the run when I saw what I thought was a fin break the water behind my fly. No boil, no nothing just a fin. I started to second guess what I saw but knew I had to work the fish. I made the same cast with no response. I took five big steps back up stream changed flies and started to recover the water. On my fifth step back down stream a bright 10lb hen grabbed on. Backing, jumps and all the fun stuff a steelhead can hand out and finally the fish was recovering in my hands. I work all the fish that I boil or feel, even if I know the fish felt the hook. I was once told, you work so hard to find them, why leave after you do. I have a number of comeback flies that I have confidence in. This fly is the first I will tie on and in most circumstances will be the one that produces a hookup. It’s a mix of two of my favorite comeback flies, the Undertaker and Hazels Steelhead Coachman. You will find all three in my box and most the time one if not all three will be stuck in my hat ready for action. Thanks for looking.

Hook: Alec Jackson 1X short
Tip: Silver oval tinsel
Tag: Chartreuses and hot pink silk
Body: Peacock hurl
Rib: Oval tinsel
Hackle: Speckled hen body
Wing: White polar bear or calf tail

Start the thread at the beginning of the bend. Secure in the oval tinsel and take the thread down the bend. Take three turns with the oval tinsel and secure. Run the thread back to the bend and secure in the chartreuse silk. Take the silk down and back and secure.

Tie in the hot pink silk and do the same stopping short to create two equal sections of the different colors.

Secure in the ribbing and take the thread to the eye. Secure in the hurl with the tips pointing to the rear. Take the hurl down and back to create the body.

Bring the ribbing forward 4 to 5 turns

Secure in the hen body feather and fold the fibers on the stem so they are all facing back. Make a few turns keeping the collar a little on the sparse side.

Clean and stack the wing, gage to length and secure.

Build up a small head and whip. This fly is ready for a player.

Good tying and better fishing

·
Administrator
17,358 Posts
Awesome fly Marty !! Great read as well .
These "comeback" flies are definetly an essential in every steelheader's box . A Red Butt Black Bear is one of my favourites . A few softhackles rank up there as well .

Great tying Marty !!

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
peacock herl

Hi Marty, super cool fly, I really dig the peacock herl. I had a friend show me a trick where he put about three herls in a dubbing loop, to form one fat herl that doesn't break as easily. I have tried it a couple times and am just getting the hang of it, but it seems to work well. Thanks again for sharing your tricks, I love your stuff.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
i have been tying a collection of summer steelhead flies as a gift and i have this one of Marty's stashed in my archive. When revisiting it this eveing i thought that it is a sweet fly that is relevant to the season, and thought id up it to the top for anyone that hadnt seen it yet. Cheers, and thanks Marty!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Great looking tie! I really like the peacock body. I have several similar "comeback" flies in my Summer box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really nice fly Marty! I'm always wondering what's your technique to clip/cut the wings excess? I find it pretty tricky to get it flush especially with calf tail. What tool do you use for that? Do you glue before clipping too?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Cool fly Marty! Cool that you got a comeback steelhead, I love those players as well.

For some reason, this has been a "one and done" kind of season where I have yet to experience a true player, even when I was up in Skeena country. I have had perhaps two or three steelhead that have come back to the fly a second time, but the aggressive players that keeps coming back through the course of multiple fly changes, literally until getting hooked, has not happened yet this year.

Those aggressive comeback steelhead are my favorites as they can literally bring you to the brink of insanity with your arms trembling as you anticipate the next crazy rise.

Great meeting you in person at Timmy's a couple weeks ago.

Todd

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Marty! You have posted this one before and it had faded from my memory. You have brought it back to the front of the stack.

Mark
Mark, this was that post, 2009.

This is still one of my favorite come-back flies. I have even started to use it as a searching fly in low water. It rocks tied on a 4 or a 6 this time of year.

I use a hair stacker to get the ends even. It may look like the ends have been clipped, they have not. Just not the greatest patch of polar beer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.