Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From time to time I find I have a little curl or hook in my anchor. It's not acute enough to be called a "bloody L" or a "piled anchor". Sometimes, I'm able to overcome this problem buy applying just a smigeon of extra power in my casting stroke. There are other times when this translates to a little hook or curl at the end of the line. Any ideas??????
Stan

·
Registered
106 Posts
Me too !

Got the same problem myself Stan, so will be interested in replies also.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Stan -

Which direction does this hook point - upriver or downriver?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Troubled Water???

"Bloody L's. Pile, Crumple" has two general causes. 1st is a dip in the Rod Tip path during the set-up move and/or 2nd,to much effort (power) in the set-up move. The dip can be caused by to high of inital lift requiring you to dip deeply for the line to hit your anchor point. The faster the rod action the less your dip can be. Effort in your pull back to anchor set can be less. The lift should be powerful enough to break most of the water tension then the pull-back will require JUST enough energy (effort) to move the now air bourne line to settle down gently in the landing zone. The LANDING ZONE is like an airport landing strip for remote model airplaneers. Imagine a landing strip where you want the nail know to land - a retangle box say 1' wide and 4' or5' long. You have the control to a airplane in your hands and now make your airplane -the nail know- land on the landing strip with a three point landing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Troubled Anchor

Juro,
River right or river left; that's a good question. I tried to reproduce the fault from both sides, but to no avail. The problem I posed earlier is one that's random and can occur from either bank. The curves or bends are minor and can curve either way. From my view, when these occur, I'm introducing some uneven power and a slight bump in my ""draw-back and "circle up" to the key position. I maybe shocking the tip a bit. What do you think?
I'm on a quest to take and pass the THCI test in August and want my casting, as well as teaching, to be as good as possible. I pose these type of problems in search of possible answers.
Stan

The road to fly casting excellance is a never ending journey!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Stan, My take on your issue is not enough power, not enough stroke length, and not raising the rod at the finsh of you circle up in your "D" loop formation.
Was plaged with the same problem and cured it with the combination of the three. Hook or curl at the end of the of the forward can be taken out by slower, longer application of power.
See you tuesday and we can work on this.
Leroy..................

FFF THCI Instructor
G.Loomis Pro-Staff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts