Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new entrant in the field for the attention of troutspeyers. Check it out on Youtube.

Scientific Anglers Spey Lite Fly Line Specs & Applications

Looks like OPST Commando heads have made a mark.

DDB

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is a "trend" line but it´s different compared to OPST line it that sense that they have the fully integrated versions.
I have used the Scandi in 240 grains on my 3wt MS TH Winston the hole summer and for me this has been the “missing” piece in the Trout spey line up.
The line shoots great and presents small to medium size flies great. You can fish in close and you can fire away with some good distance.

We will see how it works over time but right now am a happy angler.

Br
Mattias

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mattias,

They also offer a Skagit head only in 12' length -- in other words, a Commando-takeoff -- that you can connect with a Lazar running line or whatever.

DDB

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi DDB,
You are absolutely right in that regard. My native language is not English so I missed that also integrated version in my sentence.
Non the less, the lines are great and I also have the Skagit integrated version for my 4 wt. TH MS rod.

Br
Mattias

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
The Commando will always have knock-offs and for good reason. What do they say about imitation and flattery? No one would have dared produce a 12'-16.5' head had it not been for the guys at OPST. Small, successful revolution results in rapid ripoffs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JonT,

Amen.

And it does not need to be said that the guys at OPST not only got the idea, identified an expandable niche market, produced a quality product, continue to test its uses in nearly every imaginable fishing context and produce high quality, informative, video ads but are among the best people to deal with in the industry. Kudos to them.

But then I am an addict, just having filled in a 175 gr Commando head gap in my series of lt to med heads. Next spring on I can use them on my rods from 2-3 through 7 wt.

DDB

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
The Wulff Ambush kicked this ball into play years prior.. Yes, OPST have innovated, improved, and aggressively promoted (cool stuff :smokin:) Hardly a "rip-off" by SA..

·
Registered
456 Posts
Regarding the Scientific Anglers Spey Lite integrated lines: I like the full FLY line. Also a fan of the textured, black junction.

Regarding the degree of innovation associated with OPST's Commando: rod length influenced the shortening of the Skagit head. Besides the Ambush, oddly enough made by SA, the Skagit Switch heads by Airflo, the lightest being 360 grains, are 18'. Extrapolate that down, and you'd be looking at ~15'. A few feet is hardly an innovation. OPST marketing did a wonderful job of convincing many folks that their lines were something extremely special.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Regarding the Scientific Anglers Spey Lite integrated lines: I like the full FLY line. Also a fan of the textured, black junction.
Yes, this is very neat feature where you don't have to visually see the head to running line transition - the SA black junction you can "listen" for it and keep your eyes on the fish... for the next cast.

I will be picking up the SA Spey Lite line at Headhunters next week when I spend a week there. :wink2:

I hope that in the near future, a manufacturer (Rio, Airflo, OPST, SA) would come out with a dual or triple density micro/ultra short skagit head so that we would have short chunky heads that can dig deeper....:whoa:

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
A few feet is hardly an innovation. OPST marketing did a wonderful job of convincing many folks that their lines were something extremely special.
A few feet and a 180 degree reversal in taper. Name a single other line/head that tapers thicker towards the tip.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Methinks some of you are missing the picture.

The other earlier short Skagits for trout spey work IIRC had integral running as opposed to separate hi-tech shooting lines like Lazar. They also were not specifically designed as OPST lines were to use tips to provide wide versatility. And they certainly did not impact the single hand casting market as OPST marketing has. No major rod maker I know of went into trout spey until OPST kicked the door open.

And, no, I don't own any of their stock....

DDB

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
SA also had the single hand Skagit almost 10 yrs ago, no rip off.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
WATCH OUT for that Kool-Aid! it will effect your IIRC (smiling)

The other earlier short Skagits for trout spey work IIRC had integral running as opposed to separate hi-tech shooting lines like Lazar.

Anyone who wished for a modular head over an integrated had scissors handy. Lots of them..

They also were not specifically designed as OPST lines were to use tips to provide wide versatility.

Wulff Ambush does admirable job with tips. Whether it says so on the box nomenclature or not.

And they certainly did not impact the single hand casting market as OPST marketing has. No major rod maker I know of went into trout spey until OPST kicked the door open.

False. No shortage of light double hand rods that were well known and readily available long prior. Lot's of people were playing with RIO's Windcutter tips line -body only- as a skagit driver in early 2000 era. Also, history reveals that the Ambush paved the popularity upswing with single hand rods*. "Trout Spey" is nothing but a fairly recent marketing buzz word. Less than 5 years old in a manufacture context.

*it DID say that on the box ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes there was lots of rods that today would be called trout speys before OPST was on the market. I owned a couple of Loop Opti Switch rods, labeled as 6-7wt Singelhand, Loomis RR 5wt, and I have also owned the Sage One 4116 and that rod was labeled as a switch rod until for just a year ago. Don’t forgot about the Zpey rods that had small/short rods with changeable handles.
On my Loop rods I used cut down Guideline Power taper heads to about 270 grains.

I like OPST and have fished with 175, 200, 250,275 and 300 grains. But I like the idea of and integrated head on my trout spey rods. For me I get more trout “fishey” with a full line.

Br
Mattias

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some of you do not seem to appreciate that the rest of the US is just catching up with you. The Northwest contingent obviously has been familiar longer than the rest of the US with trout spey gear.

But you guys mainly kept it a secret and the real ltwt stuff -- 2-4 weight rods with dedicated lines -- was mainly served by small entrepeneurs and DIY projecters in your region. The spread of trout speying to the mid west and east and the increasing involvement of major national rod and line makers in the past few years IMO mainly happened in the wake of aggressive inet marketing by OPST and others.

We are having the first ever Mid Atlantic regional trout spey simposium soon and a new shop is opening nearby which is being touted as a resource for this approach to the sport.

It may all be old hat to you but that is not so everywhere else.

DDB

·
Registered
107 Posts
The OPST Commando head is the work of Ed Ward and Jerry French. Two of the guys that were most influential in innovating Skagit lines. Until OPST no one was thinking 2x rod length tip to fly. This made these lines unique. OPST, SA’s Spey Lite Skagit and Rio’s Trout Skagit are still the only lines designed that short. The Ambush and Airflow Scout are longer still.

2-2.5 x rod length tip to fly is closer to how Skagit was originally conceived. Personally, I wouldn’t call the Ambush a true Skagit line.

I do like the integrated version of SA’s Spey Lite. But it is not the engineered taper of the OPST. Making delicate presentations is difficult compared to the Commando. I believe that’s why they have a Scandi version of the Spey Lite line.

These lines rock for warm water species like Bass too! Big bugs on small single hand rods has changed the game for me around my TX home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just curious if anyone has tried the integrated Skagit line like the switch chucker and being an all in one package. I have some small nass river tribs I fish where there are a hand full of good little swinging water but alot of it is more effectively nymphed

·
Registered
107 Posts
bc, I've tried the SA Spey Lite Skagit 240gr integrated line on a 5wt switch. I like it a lot. It works well with big flies/streamers. It's not the engineered taper of the OPST so landing it delicately is difficult. I'd check it out if your looking to throw bigger flies. They also have a Scandi version integrated for delicate presentations and smaller flies too. These lines really put SA in the micro game!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ya I have the opst on my 5wt switch I enjoy it alot. The only real issue ( wouldn't call it a problem ) was on shorter sections stripping into the guides. But I like that it's actually fairly mendable when I go to the dark side and chuck a bobber on some slow deep sections of the river I fish I heard the switch chucker is really nice to mend as well as get some deasent sized flies out, and strip all the eay in really nice but you still have a 20 something foot head without the tip. So wondering if this would be the shorter switch chucker that could be line that could make it through all the situations I need it for on the river with only having to change tips and rigs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts