Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't need more depressing info - but the facts are the facts. Here is the upate on the Thompson's run this season...

October 13, 2004

To: Distribution

The attached figures illustrate test fishing results for Interior Fraser Steelhead in the Albion chum test fishery. In comparison to other years, this year currently ranks second lowest (Table 1), however direct comparison to other years may be misleading because of higher than average flow in the Fraser River during September. In October, river levels have been lower and have fluctuated around average levels. Therefore, the steelhead catch data in October is more informative about steelhead abundance.

The predominant brood year for this season’s return is year 2000. In that year, the escapement estimate of Thompson steelhead was 850 spawners. The current inseason prediction of return spawner abundance to the Thompson watershed is less than 800. This prediction is conditional on fishing patterns being similar to recent years. In general, steelhead abundance has been low and return rates have declined over the past decade.

Robert Bison
Fish Biologist
Fish & Wildlife Science and Allocation
Environmental Stewardship Division
Thompson Nicola Region

This season's run so far ranks #25 worst out of the last 26 years. The MWLAP biologists have stated that the minimum number of fish that they would consider for allowing a fishery is 850. Even then that is a very sad number for a river like the Thompson.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Tyler,

That sucks! I hope we're just in a low cycle right now and will be on the upside again
in the next few years. Welcome back. I hope you got that much needed bend in your rod.

·
speypages brother.
201 Posts
I was came down the canyon last week and to my surprise there was anglers in the "Y" and the hotel run......someone diddnt check the regs....jim

·
Registered
427 Posts
*@#%*)***@#%)*)(#$^**)@#%&*)@$#%)*&^/{[email protected]$#$

Well now that that is out of my system. I hope the flows completely screwed the test fishery or there will be a late push. Not to open the river but for future escapement. Kush, have they implemented any regs at Lytton to protect them at the mouth?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andre,

At this point I don't know, but it is a good question. I will bring it up at our Steelhead Society meeting this week.

Jim,

We have heard the reports of people fishing. I contacted WLAP myself and was informed that they had been flooded with calls about it. At least we know that people are watching. I was told that enforcement would be stepped up.

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Kush,

what is the Ministrys committment to the Thompson? As in # of years, # of fish and how do they plan to acheive their targets?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NI,

That is the million dollar question. I truly believe that the biologists in charge of the Thompson are as as committed as any fisherman. However, exactly how much the Ministry is committed is hard to guage. If it involves money - there is none.

There has been lots of talk - but has anything concrete happened? Not that I've seen. There was a major water use meeting this past week in Merritt and if the Ministry is going to initiate major change it should be evident in the outcomes of the meeting. As yet I haven't had a report.

As for target numbers and timetables - surely you jest...

Right now the only number I know about is 850+ fish - then they will open it. As to how this will be parlayed into 2000, 4000 or more fish is kind of a pie in the sky dream right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts