Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice Take!!!

Hi Dana,

Nice video, just goes to show how quick a fish is when it wants to take a fly. Sure would love to see more of the video?

Alan (salmonguy)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Did You

get to land it?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Vedder of course (below the train bridge)!

Unfortunately, it was one of those "grab and gone" situations, and it was a total fluke that we got the rise on tape, but that's the sort of magic that can happen when fishing time is sacrificed for filming time! Since I started working on the Speypages DVD I've been walking steelhead and salmon rivers with a digital HD video camera strapped to my back in the hopes of catching moments like this. Hopefully there will be a few more of them this season!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Dana
NICE ---VERY nice :smokin:
Cheers

·
Banned
184 Posts
Dana very interesting. Is that a sink tip and wet fly? It seems that it is, and you can see that the fly doesn't turn over completely and drops in the water, then you see the fish surface a few feet away from where the fly landed. Did you hookup, feel a grab? possibly a spooked fish?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PKK said:
Dana very interesting. Is that a sink tip and wet fly? It seems that it is, and you can see that the fly doesn't turn over completely and drops in the water, then you see the fish surface a few feet away from where the fly landed. Did you hookup, feel a grab? possibly a spooked fish?

Peter,

nice to see you back, and back in fine form as usual! Did you also notice the slight shadow of the tubes and wires that we had out in the water controlling the mechanical fish, and the air bubbles from the diver there who made the big splash? I think that the FX crew could have done a better job timing the movements of the fish, and the diver could have made the splash closer to the fly, don't you? :chuckle:

To answer you questions, kush was using a floating line with an intermediate polyleader. I don't think he felt anything at the rise so it is unclear if the fish took the fly and dropped it or simply came up to take a look. My guess would be the look, although if you watch closely the line does seem to move a bit just after the rise, so who knows? It will always be a mystery, but it's a fun clip to watch!

·
Banned
184 Posts
Dana, seriously. Does it not look like the fish rolls at a different spot than where the fly landed (regardless of whether the fly turned over or not).

·
Banned
184 Posts
Dana don't get me wrong, its great footage and I am just trying to learn something from it. It is clear (using frame by frame) that the fly does not turnover thus slack in the line. Could it be that the fish did take the fly when it landed and had in its mouth. As it moved to where it surfaced that there was still a little slack in the line and popped off. Also the possible reason for Tyler not feeling it. Have a closer look. Anyone else?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts