Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so its time for me to start pushing myself a bit more with my tying, new to mounting a roof, sides, and horns so it all could use some work. I dont like the way this pattern doesnt call for an underwing so next time it will be much thicker to fill the space, i also know the tail isnt "proper" but as with all my flies they are simply for fishing and i like the tail to be as full as possible. any comments or critiques are much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Interesting fly. Looks like something that could've come out of one of my grandpas old wet boxes. The pattern suits the hook if you ask me. Cool little fly.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I love it. Very clean for a fishing fly, and the sparse wing looks good on this pattern.

Interesting that you brought up the tail. I think many of us struggle on the merits of having a full tail, but if you are to keep it "clean" with no errant barbs they get too sparse. Try using 2 crests. Lord knows the heads are loaded with the "little ones". I will tweak the stems slightly and wrap them side by side on the top of the shank, if you pluck 2 right next to each other they are identical and can be mated to look like one. You can strip off the fibers to size, but when doubled they look full.

Nice fly, I have seen it in literature but never tried it. CJ

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John, I've used two tails before but I always pluck heads and separate accordingly and that just makes it a pain to find the right two, I guess it's time to buy more for that reason! I chose this fly because Adrian tied it a few days ago and of course it was amazing... Someday mine may look as good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts