Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Agree with the above.

Please, please add Al Buhr. Smooth and quiet, doesn't toot his own horn, but the more I learn the more I realize how much impact he has had and continues to have. We hear about many other "names" regularly, but almost never about Al.

--Bill

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
fishing

lets get some fishing in too with Ed Ward, I think Mike Kiney is scheduled. Also, some fly tying.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What about Willie Gunn. There would not be a better man to interview than him, after all he does spent 365 days of the year on the spey!

Boy's such as Andrew toft, Scott Mackenzie, Grant Mackenzie, Knut & Trond Syrstad could not be bettered. True wizards with a 15ft rod, and all (apart from the Norway boys) home grown on or around the river Spey, where spey casting was invented.

Gordon

·
Registered
396 Posts
The Grand River Clave brought home to me that this is an international game and there are a lot of fantastic people over the pond who we don't see or hear from too often!! A lot more than just the PNW and the GL crews. Gary Champion would be high on my list and James Chalmers and his Carron lines.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Another few !

So many worthy candidates, the list is endless.
I had the opportunity of spending a couple of days fishing with Steve Choate and Ed Ward earlier this year, and their knowledge of all things "casting, fishing, and tackle design" was awesome, genuine all-rounders !
Would be great to interview them, and of course Dr. Way Yin is in the same category.
Add to these Scott Mackenzie, Malcolm, and Meiz, and we`ve got a party !

I`ll bring the beer !

Cascade.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd like to hear some words from where it all began, the banks of the Spey are a great place to start. After meeting the folks from Carron this past weekend Andrew and James are high on the list. Ian Gordon comes to mind as well.

It would certainly be an interesting interview if you could get a handful of the best longline casters in the same room and ask them the same questions.

-Chris

·
JD
3,609 Posts
All of the above

Plus maybe pair up some of these guys and the manufacturer/designers they have worked with so we can get a better perspective of how they came up with some of the great stuff we have today. ie:
Bob Meiser/Mike Kinney/????
Nuburo Nodera/Ed Ward/???
Steve Choate/Steve Rajeff
Dr. Way Yin/Bruce Richards/Jon ? (Scott rod designer)

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
As many rod designers as possible in order for folks to get a good well-rounded idea and understanding of what goes into 2-hand rod design.

Line designers would be a nice complement to the rod designers.

As many of the world's best casters as possible.

And it would be very nice to see some of the old time steelheaders like Bob Arnold, Alex Jackson, Trey Combs, Harry Lemire, Art Lindgren, etc. to get their perspective on how steelheading has changed over the years and in particular how the use of 2-handers has improved or hindered steelhead fly fishing.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
goran andersson. he is a fascinating, opinionated individual who we modern spey casting to. much of what has taken place today in the modern technique can be attributed back to goran's first visit many many years ago.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Dana,

I would love to read interview, with Jerry Wintle and Harry Lemire. I first met these fine gentlemen on a well known northern river. I can't stress how much they added to my experience over the years with a few remarks that I continue to think about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts