Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe that I may have just enriched my Spey and two-handed fishing life beyond my wildest dreams. It's kind of a long story, but I'll summarize as much as possible...

My fiancee and I went to middle school and high school together. I hadn't spoken to her in about 10 years, and in the time that had passed she had developed a pretty serious repetitive strain injury in her right arm that prevented her from doing everyday tasks, due to the intense pain. This was very difficult for her to deal with, as she had been an all-star lacrosse player in high school and in college, where her team had been to the NCAA championships. So she couldn't even do the dishes, much less pick up a lacrosse stick. To make a long story very short, through personal discovery she was able to beat the injury mentally and for the past several weeks she's been totally pain-free. That in itself is a miracle. Denise has always enjoyed fishing, but the injury that she had meant that fly fishing was completely out of the question. Because the topic of fly fishing is one that she hears about daily, she's gotten more knowledgeable about it, but I don't think she was really into the idea of doing it until the other night. I was shaping the cork on a two-hander I'm building, and was showing her some basic casting, when she made the realization that two-handed and Spey casting utilizes the same basic principles as using a lacrosse stick! :devil: Additionally, the rod I'm working on is a light-weight one, and the grips fit her hands perfectly!:devil: :devil: Looks like I may have another addict in the household! :smokin: She's a highly-technical person and I think she'd learn to cast better than me in short order... at least, I hope so.

Now, which rod to build next?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Great news!!

...especially on her freedom from pain, but also on the possibility of her interest. My wife isn't interested, but supports my efforts. It's always heartening to read about people discovering the two-hander.

Good fishin'

Carl

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.