Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not so long ago I bought a used spool off the site-that-shall-not-be-named. There was a line already on it, labeled as "Skagit Spey 750gr", Rio label, looks like slightly older Rio manufacture : yellow head, green transition section, yellow runner, hash-mark weight code. However, something didn't look quite right, the head was clearly too long and too heavy. I weighted it out at over 1500gr :Eyecrazy: and measured length over 50 feet. Upon closer inspection I found a loop-to-loop connection in the middle, so what I think is that someone took a 750 gr Rio integrated Skagit spey line, then looped on a second full 750gr Skagit head to make a 1500gr 54ft mega-Skagit. I don't think this was an accident, as I obtained a second spool in the same lot, rigged exactly the same way, but with 650gr heads. Line condition was perfect, lines were wound super tight, I would guess they had never even been fished, maybe never cast. I sure hope not, I can't even think of a rod that could handle such a rig.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing? I have images in my head of some non-spey-knowledgeable fly shop rigging a "skagit spey" to a "skagit head" and sending some poor innocent soul down to the river with this monstrosity.

Either that or somebody planning to cast a skagit head at spey-o-rama.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have one of those old 750 grain integrated Skagit lines that I cast on a TFO 15' 10 weight. It's a bit heavy for the rod, but when my casting is working with it, it will haul an extra heavy MOW tip waaaay out there. Maybe someone built a 20 foot 14/15 weight and needed a line for it ;)?

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, a backup head on the spool so you won't forget it when you arrive at the Artic Circle, or whatever.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking the same thing, a backup head on the spool so you won't forget it when you arrive at the Artic Circle, or whatever.
I hadn't thought of that, good point.

Though, this works somewhat less well when the primary line is an integrated head.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
That would have left a hell of a spool gap once your spare head was removed ;)

Early 2000's we cast a guide friends integrated 650gr RIO with FULL "Big Boy' 300gr head attached all day off a 14'6" 9/10 Daiwa Blue blank rod. It handled it with ease and fished well, very effective combo. Heaviest total grains I've cast on anything to date

1 - 7 of 7 Posts