Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fly fishing for sea-run, lake-run trouts and salmons very hard since 1990. I have a few critical questions for which I have been looking for answers. Maybe there are no perfect answers for them. Hopefully, fishermen with experence will help me out. I stopped nymphing for these fish about 6 years ago- I hope not to hook fish in initial dead drift before the swing starts. Finally I stopped using sinking tips about 2 years ago.
Do you think the different wet flies- size[ please specify the length of flies 1 to 6 inches], shape and color, make a difference in terms of raising and hooking fish. If answer is yes, can you tell me when, why and how? Thanks.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
If you arn't using a sinktip and you are not weighting your flies then in order to get the fly down you will have to use a BIG hook. To me that would dictate the size of the fly. Have you ever read Dry Line Steelhead by Bill McMillan? This is a great book on this subject and might answer some of your questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.