Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're Killing Me

Someone post something about the show.....I was not able to go...I know you will never cover it all here....But...How did it go???

Was the fly raffle a success. And how were the tying sessions with the likes of Ed Ward and Leland???

Wished I could have been there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
TO COOOL !!!

For starters Norseman , Beutiful flys man , you've really got the gift . The fly boxs were awsome ! There were about 10-12 flys in each frame with each fly haveing a engraved plak with the tiers name and name of the fly under it .

I Attended the Friday clave , and Danas basics class . Being a spey virgin it was alot to take in , but everyone was very helpful . If you took the time to ask a question you were going to get the answer and then some .

It is a very fine bunch of folks indeed . When you can show up to a fly fishing event in camo bootfoot neoprenes and not be show the door your with the right bunch .

The show it self was really good , the lodges / guides were mostly Yakima river in Washington , Alaska , and a few from B.C. . I was surprised that GL .Loomis and Lamiglass weren't there . There was tying supplys galore , all of the real cool stuff (high dollar) that you just cann't find at the local shop . I know I went out with a very expensive small bag .

I really enjoyed the tyers aisle , those folks were very freindly and gave out a wealth of knowlge .

My wife took a beging casting class from Joe Humpherys and came out very happy:hehe: which makes me happy . Two fellows I work with took the advanced class and said it was well worth the money .

I wish I could have attended one of pages tying sessions , but it was a time,space, family thing and just couldn't make it all fit . Thankyou again leland for takeing pitty on me and donateing a popper to my cause .

Yeah I'll be there next year , Cheers Bruce

" I just love it when a plan comes together "

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bruce

Thanks for the high praise Bruce. I am sure that I missed a great show.

I cannot wait until next year. If I know enough in advance, I may even book some of my leave from work then.

I am sure that I would have to leave the plastic at home though....just cant walk past a display of new materials without taking some home with me. As for the tying...I think it is as much a passion as the grab at the end of the fly line.

Being a VIRGIN spey caster myself, I can hardly wait to wet the line under the tutelage of the likes of Dana or Kush

Ahhhhh what a sport,

Best regards,

Jake

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Joe Humphreys is one of the most knowledgeable fly fishers I've ever had the priviledge to make the reacquaintance of. Yes, reacquaintance of. You see, 30 years ago when a student at Penn State I needed another Phys Ed. credit to have enough to graduate. The short story, I took Joe Humphrey's Fly Fishing Class.

I had been fly fishing since age 5 and tying since age 9 when I took his class at age 20. I loved his class and learned how to double haul from Joe. He also had me try a Fenwick prototype graphite 8 foot 5 weight on a fishing outing. This was before there were any graphite rods on the market and Joe was field testing them for Fenwick (which was located in Bainbridge, Washington then- in fact, in the same location where Sage now makes rods).

Anyhow, it was very enjoyable talking to Joe again and doing some reminising about the class of 30 years ago. Both of us remember some aspects of the class and several of the fishing outings he took the class ot on. He told me that he figured out that he had taught 10,000 college students either how to fly fish and fly tie or how to be better fly fishermen and tyers during the time he taught the class at Penn State. He also told me that his fly fishing mentor, George Harvey, had taught another 34,000 college students fly fishing. This means that between Joe and George, 44,000 people were taught how to fly fish or be better fly fishers when they were teaching at Penn State.

Joe Humphreys is one of the grand old gentlemen of the sport who is still doing what he loves, fishing and teaching others how to fish. My 11 and 15 year old sons thought it way cool that I knew Joe and that he remembered me and some of the details of the class I took those 30 years ago. They and my wife now get to help share in that legacy as well.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Some Show Pix

Jake,

I know Juro has lots of shots and will undoubtedly post a bunch - once he gets off the river! But here's a couple for you.

Ed Ward's demo of the Intruder attracted a real crowd. Ed is not overly fond of being the centre of attention, so he said he was nervous - but he did a fantastic job - thanks Ed!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Winter Fly Box

Here is the Winter Box that was raffled off, it was awesome. Unfortunately I didn't notice the reflection from the overhead lights on the glass - maybe Juro has a better shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Unbelievable

What a thing of beauty !!!!!

TYLER thank you so much for such a great shot, I really didnt even notice the lights.

I recognize your raging prawn and Dana's Thompson stone.

Ed Wards Intruder is a menacing looking brute isn't it? I can see why the black salmon want to attack it. They want to kill it before it begins breeding in their waters!!!!!!

DUGGAN you have outdone yourself, no wonder these went for such a splendid price, I am just stunned. What an impact the mount must have made on the crowd.

I cannot wait to see the others.

Magnificent....

Thank you so much for posting this, it was worth the wait.

Best regards.....Jake

·
Registered
228 Posts
A big second on the thanks. Wonderful ties for a wonderful cause. Can't wait to see more pics of all the events. Makes it darn hard to live here in Colorado.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Intruders work!!!

Steelhead love (or hate) Intruders. Monday morning while I'm still fiddling around with my tackle Ed Ward wades in, makes about 10 casts and zing! a 12lb buck rockets out of the shallows. Less than 1/2 hr later, and in another spot Ed ties into a 15lb chromer. All on the Intruder, and all proving that a short-to-medium length cast to where the fish are is a lot more productive than a long one to where they aint!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Here's the Summer Box

These were cool flies as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Leland started the ball rolling with his saltwater poppers - I gotta try that!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The crowd was huge - especially on Saturday. Here is Juro with50 things on his mind at once :eyecrazy: .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Here's Duggan - aka Sinktip, driftboat jockey, raffle selling wizard and mastermind behind the awesome flyboxes. Great job Dug!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
This is one of the things that we discovered had been overlooked when we set-up on Friday - no banner! :whoa: Juro hits Kinkos and voila - not bad!

Attachments

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
OK finally able to post a little something. I thought the show rocked.

A huge thank you to Sinktip for getting the beautiful displays put together. The raffle was quite popular at the show and we had a ton of interest on them. We are well on our way to getting that server upgrade I have been telling Juro we need for the last 6 months. Thanks to all who bought tickets.

Also Sandi was the best. Towards the end of Sunday I was literally falling asleep I was so worn out but she kept on selling those raffle tickets. Next time I will have to drink some more coffee....

It was nice to meet Deerhawk, JJ , all the wild steelhead folks(sorry I am the worst with names, and trade tying tips with Flytyer. Well I did not give him any tips but he gave me plenty and I should be cranking out some nice speys soon. I also enjoyed discussing problems catching 40lb bait busting chinook on the fly with Kush. I wish I had that problem to work out. :).

Oh and it was great to finally meet Nobuo. A very nice guy who makes some of the best spey rods around. Cannot wait until they are avail to the public.

Overall the best part for me was the guest tyers. Next year if any of you can make it to the show you have to sign up for a session. I missed Ed Ward's Intruder as I was picking up the banner at Kinkos but saw the rest and got them on video (and yes I have already watched it twice...). I got to sit down and tie a popper with Leland which was cool. I think I was still using his year 2000 version and it was good to see his new and improved one.

It also was a real pleasure for me to shoot the bull with Mike Kinney and watch hime tie his Skagit Minnow. Mike is *the* guy I look up to when I think of steelheading greats and it was great to discuss patterns and just talk about fishing.

I also sat in with Dave Steinbaugh and tie his most excellent intruder style pattern. It was the first time I had worked with putting artic fox in a dubbing loop and now I cannot get enough of the stuff. I fished it on the Skagit with Juro and man that thing looks incredible in the water. I think it will take over as my go to fly for the Skagit this year and probably the years to come.

Last but not least thanks to Dana and Juro for getting everything together for the weekend. From the spey clave on Friday thorugh the show I think we really made a big impression on everyone in the NW. Everything really worked out great and thank you both for your drive and keeping things running on the front end. I have really enjoyed the past year and a half of working with you guys and look forward to many more to come.

-sean

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sean

Nicely done, very well written.

If you get the opportunity...could you post Dave Stienbaugh's pattern? I am a huge fan of dubbing brushes and use them whenever I can, I would love to see the artic fox in his intruder style pattern.

As spectators and users of this forum, I dont think we ever really appreciate the work that goes into maintianing this site and organizing such events.

Being as new to this site and spey casting as I am, I will not try to name all of those involved in keeping up this site and arranging all the claves. I would surely miss someone important and leave them feeling left out. So I will say this.

I applaud everyone here who has worked tirelessly at keeping this site running, and organizing such events. You fuel the fire within all of us, keep our passion for the sport burning deep within. We owe all of you a great deal of gratitute. Gentlemen I congratulate you, you are truly what makes our sport such a wonderful pastime. I only hope to aspire to your level of commitment and dedication. ......I salute you.

Without people like you, we can only dream of what others in our sport do. People like you push us to our do our best. Keep up the excellent work.

Raise a glass everyone........and toast those who keep the fire burning

My best regards........Paul Jacobsen....also known as Norseman ( Jake)

·
Registered
599 Posts
copy of video tape

Juro-

I was the fellow at the middle table during Ed Ward's demo tying of the Intruder.

Is it possible to get a copy of that tape?

Be happy to pay for the copying and shipping.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Ray Phelps
:cool:

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I have the video on my cmera but we will need to see if Mike Kinney and Dave Steinbaugh would care if we just made copies for distribution. We will work that angle and let you know.

-sean

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll commit to it as well

Count me in if it can be done Sean. I would love to get a copy of the tyers. I think we asked one another thread where Juro was entertaining the idea?

Would be a great fund raiser for the site if it could be done.

So count me in for one please

Best regards......Jake

P.S. What a great way to allow those of us who couldn't make it an opportunity to see these tyers in action.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts