Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year The Sandy River Spey Clave will be held on May 17, 18, & 19th, 2013 at Oxbow Park on the Sandy River. We are working hard to put together the 2013 agenda and would love to hear what you would like to see this year.

If you have a favorite presenter in mind or specific topic, please feel free to let us know and we will do our best to meet your needs.

The Fly Fishing Shop in Welches, Oregon invites you to subscribe to the "Weekly Insider" Newsletter to stay up to date on all our events and happenings.

Fish Long and Prosper!

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Travis and Bruce demonstrating how to tailor a line real-time. Brilliant.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Travis and Bruce demonstrating how to tailor a line real-time. Brilliant.
That was the presentation that I remember most vividly from last year's clave. Of course I've made no attempt to tailor one of my lines, but I have looked for the 'wobble' once in awhile. :roll:

I think it would be interesting to see a presentation dedicated to line management options and techniques: pros and cons of loops vs. coils, top hand vs. bottom, etc.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I don't imagine that there will be much Fly Tying going on during the actual event, but is anyone going to do any tying in the evenings around the camp sites?

Would be pretty cool to set up a picknick table or two and crack out some flies.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
That would be great to see some lines getting made. Its somthing I've been thinking about trying.

I would also like to see some reel manufacturers there such as Speyco, Saracione etc.
As for custom lines, if Steve Gotshall is there, you will. His custom lines are true magic. No disrespect intended to line's out of a box, but his lines are rod/caster specific. Casting Magic ...... 'Just Trust' me on this one.

SpeyCo reels? They're bullet proof. Tim manufacturer's each by hand to your needs/spec's. At a price you can afford.

Saracione's? Beauty/Function/why you slid that on your reel seat? Fellow knows what he's about. I'd pay money to sit (quite Mouse) at a table as these three talked about ... ship, what-ever?

fae

·
Chasing Silver
423 Posts
I would love to see Marty Howard tying some flies would be huge hit with everyone. My son would really like to see Dec Hogan,Ed Ward,Scott Howell and Goran Anderssen casting some lines and sharing their wisdom on the River.
Hope to see them! This is gonna be my first time attending the Sandy Spey Clave.
Eric R

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
TBH, I would hate to singularly vote for one specific person. These are all clearly greats, masters of the sport. I am thankful to each and everyone of them for taking the time and energy to come out and give back. Very cool. This is just my take; but a "popularity contest" of sorts seems kind of out of place? At any rate, I'm stoked to be on my way there and would be eager to get a little touch of knowledge from ANY of the good folks who will be there.

Thanks for putting this all together, as for voting... they all get mine!
JB

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TBH, I would hate to singularly vote for one specific person. These are all clearly greats, masters of the sport. I am thankful to each and everyone of them for taking the time and energy to come out and give back. Very cool. This is just my take; but a "popularity contest" of sorts seems kind of out of place? At any rate, I'm stoked to be on my way there and would be eager to get a little touch of knowledge from ANY of the good folks who will be there.

Thanks for putting this all together, as for voting... they all get mine!
JB
Not a popularity contest Jason, just wanted to show everyone their options on the free casting clinic next Friday :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No Steve Choate on that list??? He's one of the presenters and as an instructor he's pure magic.
Fred,

These are the instructors that signed up to give free casting instructions on Friday, I agree with you on Mr. Choate he is a great instructor :D

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Thanks for the up-date. Had to chuckle as I remember many back when Steve and Way Yin were a teaching team. Steve didn't know about the 'No dogs allowed' when he drove up to the gate at Oxbow. (First??)

Too late now so he kept him in his 'C-class' motor home. Some one saw the dog and turned them in. Mark and a Park Ranger sorted it out. Fuzz ball became a "Service Dog."

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Planning on attending this Friday, maybe Saturday. It would be nice to meet some folks from the site here. I'll be wearing a maroon Phillies hat, and I'm willing to bet I'll be the only one there with that choice in headgear. Give me the shout out.
Ill try and find ya but friday is the penguins game, so it may have to be saturday.

·
Registered
121 Posts
bringing the family up Thursday night from Bend. Boy 13, girl 8, wife hot. :D

Hideout travel trailer in the park, red solo cup :hihi:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
We're packing up the trailer tonight, and heading down first thing in the morning tomorrow. We've got a site booked in Oxbow so we'll be close.

Just wondering WHERE in the park it will be? I imagine it will be pretty obvious, but I just want to be sure.

Cheers,

Scott.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts