Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
loco alto!
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can some of you Rogues :hehe: refresh my memory on the long leader / multiple fly set up that you use for steelhead, whether it works for floaters and sinking lines, weighted flies, and what lb test terminal tippet?

thanks!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hi Steve!! Pretty simple stuff ... but using Maxima

main line for the basic leader material (you can use regular tippet stuff for the last 'link' if you wish on lighter line wt. rods, including florocarbon) is the key.

"My formula" is pretty straight forward as I use equal lengths of different test line for each section. For a 7wt rod I'd use 20#, 15#, 12#, 10# then either 6# or 8# for a tippet.

8/9 wt rods: 25#, 20#, 17# (if I can find it) or 15#, 12# then 10# or 8# for the tippet.

10/11 wt rods 30#, 25#, 20#, 15# and, depending upon the target fish an additional run of regular 15# tippet material. If the water conditions are low I'll drop to 12#.

The main line Maxima material is far stiffer than regular leader material so the transmition of energy off the fly line to heavy flys works very well. With heavy fly(s) regular leader material will collapse or wrap around itself ... leaving a heck of a mess at worst, or wind knots at best.

Andy Zwan (aka Fish-head on the Board) showed me the following. Given he hooks 5 to my one .... you gotta go with his flow.

With multi-fly set-ups the top fly has to be the heaviest, then drop in size/wt to the second (or as several one handers do ... the third fly). Many of us also don't tie the flys 'in line;' the leader to the second (and third) is actually tied 'hook eye to hook eye.' This causes the upper flys to hang down like a Christmas tree bulbs.:hehe:

Fish seem to almost hook themselves with this rig.

fae

Forgot to add vis a vis leaders for sink tips/wted leaders. Given these will be far shorter than that used for a dry line it's usually only three sections of 20#, to 15# to tippet of choice. Very rare I'd go above 20# for a "butt section" with a head/sinking leader.

With a sinking leader off a dry line (do love this combo!!!) I'll run a 3-4 foot section of 20# or 25# off the end of a full dry line (again, 25# for 9wt's and up, 20# for 8/9's and down). The butt section is tied directly to the end of the fly line, looped at the end and the sinking leader attached 'loop to loop.' With these I'll usually only do a two leader connect to the fly.

"On paper" this sounds like it would hinge like hell when your casting, but it doesn't. The run of leader between the fly line and the sinking leader allows the dry line to stay on top and the sinking leader section (immediately) sink like a rock. You can mend this out almost as far as you could with a straight dry line/leader combo.
fae

·
loco alto!
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
many thanks !!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts