Spey Pages banner

The Robbie (of sorts)

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jabrowning24 
#1 ·
So I didn't have the right colors of Orange and as usual I forgot something (JC sides). I'm still struggling with tails and used a weird iron but am overall pretty happy with the outcome, I hope the fish agree!

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I'm with Andrew on this... such a sweet tie, Josh. What the heck? How do you forget the JC?! Just jesting, my friend...I have forgotten a few things on a fly or two. But I do gotta say, I was fishing this pattern the other day in the high off-color flows...and while the orange was looking good, it was the jungle cock that had me smiling. I think this is pattern would work for a lot of variable conditions here in the Northwest...sunny, dark, off color, slow or fast flows.

Well done.

#6 ·
The fly looks awesome, even without the JC. I have tried every trick in the book for crest tails and have found steam works the best. I use a tea pot. Just hold the crest feather in the steam and it will regain its shape. Works even better on toppings.

#9 ·
Thanks guys!

Marty, I need to get back to just steam, I've been trying lots of other tactics that just aren't working for tails.

Adrian, I know I know! Haha I'm going to tie another with the proper butt, WITH JC, and the right horns. I get in a groove of tying and forget to check recipes as I go on to the next material.

Andrew, I completely agree about modern irons, I tie a lot of spey and Dee style flies so most of my irons are geared towards that. It was fun to tie this on the long shank though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.