Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I didn't have the right colors of Orange and as usual I forgot something (JC sides). I'm still struggling with tails and used a weird iron but am overall pretty happy with the outcome, I hope the fish agree!

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
I like that iron. I think if we were to show most of our modern spey irons to the originators of these patterns they would think they look wierd.

I like how you did the wing. I think the fish will love this fly.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
The fly looks awesome, even without the JC. I have tried every trick in the book for crest tails and have found steam works the best. I use a tea pot. Just hold the crest feather in the steam and it will regain its shape. Works even better on toppings.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I like that iron. I think if we were to show most of our modern spey irons to the originators of these patterns they would think they look wierd.

I like how you did the wing. I think the fish will love this fly.
I'm with Andrew on this... such a sweet tie, Josh. What the heck? How do you forget the JC?! Just jesting, my friend...I have forgotten a few things on a fly or two. But I do gotta say, I was fishing this pattern the other day in the high off-color flows...and while the orange was looking good, it was the jungle cock that had me smiling. I think this is pattern would work for a lot of variable conditions here in the Northwest...sunny, dark, off color, slow or fast flows.

Well done.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

Marty, I need to get back to just steam, I've been trying lots of other tactics that just aren't working for tails.

Adrian, I know I know! Haha I'm going to tie another with the proper butt, WITH JC, and the right horns. I get in a groove of tying and forget to check recipes as I go on to the next material.

Andrew, I completely agree about modern irons, I tie a lot of spey and Dee style flies so most of my irons are geared towards that. It was fun to tie this on the long shank though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts