Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Outerhebrides
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
go get 'em, Bud. My partner got one in the last 10 minutes five out of six nights!

·
Registered
359 Posts
It’s an amazing river and fishing the leeches in the dark has to be one of the best things in fly fishing. Which lodge were you staying?

·
Outerhebrides
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EMB. My first trip, so I do not know anything about the other lodges, but I cannot say enough good things about EMB. It is a great operation. Great people. If you could fish all night the river probably would not have any fish in it......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Great Brown, Outerhebrides!
I am returning to Kau Tapen Lodge in 10 days, have been tying up the big black leeches. It is almost spooky tossing them against the cut banks at last light. What an amazing place! Hoping for one like yours..............

·
Registered
359 Posts
I stayed at Villa Maria and did it 5 times but now kids at University and can’t justify it. Anyone with it on the bucket list should definitely do it as those trout are something else as is Argentina, the people , the food and fantastic wine. Fishing can be challenging especially in big winds but that makes each fish a triumph and those +20lb fish like yours are an exceptional catch. Fishing heaven for me

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
A truly magnificent fish! Well done, sir.

·
Outerhebrides
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True that. Slinging those big leeches out there into the void is rather unreal, wondering how close to the cut bank you are, hoping you don't throw it TOO far, etc. Very crazy experience, and the fish hit those leeches harder than I could have possibly imagined.

·
Outerhebrides
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome! You had a much better photographer than I did! Great fish. Good luck down there.

·
JD
3,609 Posts

Especially when you try to land them on itty bitty flies.
The guide gave me a couple flies like that when I was down there. It stayed on less than half an hour before I switched back to a big black leech. I just don't have any confidence in those little short legged spiders.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I found the leeches were great at night and also in certain day time situations when a chartreuse leech worked well.
I did get a lot of fish on these really small nymphs and also a small prince nymph. This included two 20lb fish. It is a bit strange at first using a Spey rod, skagit and T11 tip to fish these small nymphs but they certainly work in daytime low clear water situations. A small green machine also worked very well.

The guide gave me a couple flies like that when I was down there. It stayed on less than half an hour before I switched back to a big black leech. I just don't have any confidence in those little short legged spiders.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts