Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am new to these forums
I am locking for the right T&T 13. I will be using this rod on a small river were distances usually don’t exceed 25 yards. I will not use it with sink lines, maybe intermediate. The normal sea trout that I hope to catch is in the 3-15 lb range.
I would think that the 1308-4 would do but there is a little “problem”. On rare occasions I my catch a salmon, up to 30lb. Then the 1309-3 would probably be necessary. Is the 1309-4 a god compromise? Able to handle the big one but still enjoyable with the 3 lb trout or perhaps there isn’t much of a difference between the three and four piece.
What would you recommend?
Thanks Mats

·
Registered
869 Posts
It all depends on weather you would like to be occaisonally under gunned or regularly over gunned. neither rod will bend too much with a 3lb trout. the 8 is capable of landing large salmon or steelhead but is not the tool of choice for fish in the 30lb range. if those fish are a once a year thing i would vote for the 8. both are great rods, the 9 will be cheaper as a three piece also.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I fish quite a few different great lakes tributaries and I have found my T+T 1309 to cover almost all of them. Although it is sometimes overkill and occasionally not enough I have enjoyed it almost everywhere. It is much lighter than the 1409 but has the ability to move big heavily sunk flies which are needed in the dead of winter.

I have mine lined with a WC 8/9/10 and it loads very nicely with this. Most great lakes water can be covered just with the head of the WC which results in a 65-70 ft cast. The few occasions where more is needed the rod will gladly throw running line behind it.

Gillie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
Is there any disadvantage in choosing a 4-piece rod? I have heard that they are more prone to break but this was many years ago. Of cause they are more expensive, but apart from that?/Mats

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't really feel there is much of a disadvantage to 4 peice rods. They are more expensive and unless you are doing a lot of travel I don't see the need for the extra expense. I fly with rods quite a bit and do fine with three peice rods.

Gillie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts