Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this fly, can't wait til it hooks up. My favorite variation to tie so far, I need to tie more as this one is lost in the rocks already! On a AJ 1.5 heavy bronze hook straightened to a blind eye. Sinks like a stone.

And a wet shot

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know you don't tie Dees very much anymore but I really wish you would! You manage to get wings in a shape most of us just dream about! Everything about that thing is sexy! I am sure it will stick one soon!
This Dunt thing sort of made me go mad for dees again. I have a desk full of reworked hooks, but i'm too lazy to braid enough mono for blind eyes. I think i have two more hooks already with eyes, so ill wrap them, then i gotta make some guts sub for a while.

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
I stole your forked tail vibes!!! :smokin:
I saw that ... you owe me one ;)
I believe the elongated tail , especially forked , triggers a strike ... mainly on the dangle .

Actually , you inspired me to prep a couple irons with eye loops :)
I just use micron backing from Cortland to do the loops ... seems like too much work with braiding mono ... I really never got the hang of the braiding thing . I save my frustrations for the fur , me and seal don't get along for some reason ever since I lost my bobbin (I didn't loose it , I just don't use it anymore) .

I came back three times to this post Matt , just to view the overall composition . The Dunt is one of those patterns that no matter the season , whether cool or cold water , bright or dull day , it works !! It's one of those confident patterns that if there is a player in the crowd , it's going to eat the Dunt !! I really like your rendition of Walbran's recipe ... I could never stray further than Murdoch's pattern , though now I am intrigued :)

Thanks again for sharing my friend :)

Mike

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I needed another Walbran Dunt, the first one never had a fair shot and it seems so darn fishy!!! I tied up another Walbran Dunt on a reworked heavy wire Gold AJ. Its dead sexy on that gold hook.

Well, the day started like this. In fact, its still like that out there.

I figured a grey day needed a regal fly to wake the fish up.
The Walbrans variation works Mike, get on the vice.

This thing got smashed! the fish was leaping out of the water before I could even set a hook. real slow swing using an Iflight 450gr int skagit and sinking tip. I think I love the sunken grabs. so much violence!!!

Have a great weekend!!!

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
Congratulations Matt ... well done lad !!!
She a beauty fish for sure and she has good taste in flies too :smokin:

I'm just pinching a few irons for a friend and then I'll be pinching a 5XL iron between my thumb and forefinger and wrapping a Walbran's Dunt !!

You're swingin' a Dee the way I like to swing'em ... on a slow , deep swing :smokin:
Got to love those intermediate lines with a light tip for cold winter steel :smokin::smokin:

Mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts