Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I started a thread...I had run out of thread:hihi:. Got my feather package from AO last week full of goodies and the desired silk thread, finally got down to tying 2 patterns in-between errands.

The Pearl per Kelson

TAG: Gold twist.
TAIL: Toucan, Teal, and Chatterer (small).
BUTT: Black herl.
BODY: In two sections: No. 1, silver embossed tinsel, butted with Indian Crow above and below, and black herl; No. 2, black silk, ribbed
with gold oval tinsel, and a natural black hackle along it.
THROAT: Jay.
WINGS: Tippet, Teal, and Peacock wing in strands; Golden Pheasant
tail, Amherst Pheasant, dark Bustard, Swan dyed blue, yellow,
and red; Mallard and a topping.
CHEEKS: Chatterer.
HORNS: Blue Macaw.

The Skirmisher per Kelson

TAG: Silver twist and light yellow silk.
TAIL: Toucan, with two strips of Ibis.
BUTT: Black herl.
BODY: Two turns of light dirty-orange silk, followed by dirty-orange
Seal's fur, well picked out.
RIBS: Silver tinsel (oval).
THROAT: Coch-y-bonddhu hackle tinged in Bismarck brown.
WINGS: Golden Pheasant tail and Peacock herl mixed in strands.
SIDES: Teal and Ibis (married).
HORNS: Blue Macaw.
HEAD: Black herl

The Pearl was tied on a vintage stock Mustad iron that James Reid gave me.

The Skirmisher was tied on a Vintage mustad iron bronze down-eye that fshmhard gifted me.

That sunfly pattern (so rad-looking in the water) on the wallet was tied John (chukarhun99) and he gifted that to me which gave me a good grab yesterday but didnt stick that winter fish.

That wallet was given to me by those FFC guys.

So many gracious sports 'round here and I wish I could return the favor in some honorable way one day (I'm gradually workin' on it).

I'm sending the 2 flies I tied above (I'm selfishly keeping John's fly:lildevl:) to Fly Fishing Collaborative.

If any of you fine tyers can spare some more time, thread, and feathers...I know FFC would be grateful for some fly donations (Bucky told me that they are ramping up their production of leather fly wallets waiting to be filled with your much desirable flies).

For those that have not heard of Fly Fishing Collaborative, please check out their website (their title.org). A worthy cause to help orphanages by collaborating with the fly fishing community in raising funds for self-sustaining fish farms.

Your flies will go a long way to help the cause. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers and thank you,
Adrian

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hello my friend:

The patterns a tier chooses to take on are a great revealer. Your skills are so broad and your interests so eclectic. I'm never disappointed Adrian

dave

·
Registered
520 Posts
Flees...

Great ties here Adrian.
The Pearl is beyond impressive.
It never really ends, does it?
There is always something else to tie.
Go fish 'em.

Tom

·
Undertaker
1,367 Posts
Wow - as usual

Outstanding flies there Adrian. And its cool you got a pull recently, with the pineapple express we're currently enjoying, it may be a week or so before the rivers clear up again - then you can show them a Kelson or two.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, gents. Your kindness is appreciated.

KC, that Pearsall's is my preference just because I'm so used to it now. I guess it's what they used back then...so I picked it up a couple years ago as suggested by a friend. I prefer the orange just for geekiness-sake as that was the preference per Pryce-Tannant (stronger than the other colors, I guess) but I'll take what I can get.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
I know what I'm tying today!

That Pearl is a gem, errr i mean a pearl, I mean, well, you know what i mean.
thanks for the recipe.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Interesting Adrian, does the silk come twisted or not. The only Pearsells I've used was for my soft hackles. I think it is very high quality and would to get some.

KC

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KC, the silk is finely twisted. It doesn't flatten out as some other threads so one has to be more acutely aware of each wrap. I may be able to make tinier neater heads with other threads, but I o enjoy the challenge of the Pearsall's.

Matt, I mixed it all together but did envelop the shorter pheasant tippets inside the longer fibers.

Would love to see your rendition...the Pearl is a fun pattern.

Thanks again.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
It is so pleasing to open a post such as this. Pure class. Both the mixed wing and the herl wing are over the top. Such balance.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,859 Posts
would not even no where to start

Nice stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts