Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

On another note. i spent 5$ on a skein of wool yarn and drowned some of it in koolaide (Black is Rit) Here are the results

·
Registered
895 Posts
Nice tie and nice dye!

I've done Kool-Aid on feathers and never had any colors bleed.

It's an odd smell though when heating, sweet berry smells mixed with vinegar. I use food coloring now!!

-Bill

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Nice fly and nice dye job. I've kool aid dyed for years, it won't wash out. Kool aid has some hot new colors out too.

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Koolaide is super easy. Longer for more rich colors. I've also died bucktail and feathers. If left in the sun on your dashboard like I do with some of my musky flies it will eventually fade but it takes a while

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I would like to dye some feathers and I was wondering if there was something special I had to do. I used rit black dye on feathers one time and it didnt penetrate. Is there a step I am missing? I appreciate the feedback!! Also do I need to bleech them first? If so do I use regular hoisehold bleech?? Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Generally speaking you need to add vinegar to get the color to burn in and set. Not sure of your starting color/s. If your starting white, dye away, if not you may need to try to lighten your start color. There's lots of good dyeing info on the net. Good luck.

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just died some BEP and Goose feathers with black rit. Here are my steps which are likely overkill.
I use large glass mason jar on top of its threaded ring inside of a large pot filled part with water to act as a double boiler to prevent the dye water from boiling. I usually bring the water to a boil and then turn the oven to the lowest setting I can. If I'm doing multiple colors I use multiple mason jars in the same pot.
Koolaide Is usually one packet per 8oz and I usually double up on the lighter colors (blue,yellow,pink) or use half the amount of water.
Rit I totally just guess but I should start figuring out how much I use so its repeatable. i would guess its about the same as a packet of koolaide.
I always make sure to presoak whatever I'm dying for at least 15 minutes. Bucktails I bleach and soap to remove oils and color but feathers I do nothing to. I let feathers soak 5-10 minutes and buck tail much longer. The longer you wait the richer the colors. If you look at my two oranges and two reds in the picture those are with the same koolaide, different soak times.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I just died some BEP and Goose feathers with black rit. Here are my steps which are likely overkill.
I use large glass mason jar on top of its threaded ring inside of a large pot filled part with water to act as a double boiler to prevent the dye water from boiling. I usually bring the water to a boil and then turn the oven to the lowest setting I can. If I'm doing multiple colors I use multiple mason jars in the same pot.
Koolaide Is usually one packet per 8oz and I usually double up on the lighter colors (blue,yellow,pink) or use half the amount of water.
Rit I totally just guess but I should start figuring out how much I use so its repeatable. i would guess its about the same as a packet of koolaide.
I always make sure to presoak whatever I'm dying for at least 15 minutes. Bucktails I bleach and soap to remove oils and color but feathers I do nothing to. I let feathers soak 5-10 minutes and buck tail much longer. The longer you wait the richer the colors. If you look at my two oranges and two reds in the picture those are with the same koolaide, different soak times.

very useful info there - thanks.

Chlorine bleach will dissolve feathers. It has to be very well diluted. I've tried it on cheap feathers and burnt them up: I can't /won't recommend doing it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have used kool aid to dye in the past and never had a problem with the colors washing out. Here is a picture of some white peacock that I get from a friend. I dyed it with the kool aid flavour written beside each feather. The feather took the dye very well and the colors are very bright. Hard to explain what color the grape turned out but I kind of like it. Certainly wasn't what I was expecting for purple.

Attachments

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those colors are awesome. Every material takes the kool aide slightly differently. I seems like you got very rich pastels which are quite hard to achieve. washed out pastels are very easy! I have had some really interesting experiences with purple, I found out that if you let it soak for a lonnngg time (hours) you can get a purple so dark that in every picture I take you would swear it is black and that was on buck tail which can be very hard to die dark colors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts