Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
In my time Spey casting for salmon, I have 2 distinct memories of losing very large salmon, one on the River Tay and the other on the River Findhorn, both in Scotland.
One of the losses was witnessed by a lifelong fishing friend, the other was only me, the fish and my Maker! One was 35 minutes the other just over 40 minutes, and I was bending well into them.
The frustration and depression I felt at the time have long since been overtaken by a quiet satisfaction in having made the acquaintance of both fish and in enjoying a titanic struggle which they both eventually won.
There are times when I cant remember what happened yesterday, but every detail of the battles with both those lost fish is so vivid in my memory that I actually get more pleasure now from those memories than from other captures.
Weights? Who knows, and we are prone to exaggerate our losses, but I have never felt anything like it.
Have you met a real beast on your travels and recovered from the loss?
Mike

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I know what you mean, Mike. With a couple of exceptions the fish I remember the most are the "Oh My God, Did You See That's!" One in particular was a stand out for 20 some years ago.

Fishing at Reiter Ponds and hooked this fish .... he shot straight across the river jumping the whole way until he beached himself on the FAR side of the river. That snapped the leader ...... a few flops later and he was off the beach and back in the stream.:razz:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Two steelhead

come to mind, both Clearwater fish and big. The first was just about ready for landing, then back out, the leader hit a rock - long distance release. The second, I had on for about five minutes, knew it was big, and was just congratulating myself, when it turned downriver with afterburners lit. Some where between 50 - 100 yards later the hook pulled out. I sure would have liked to see that fish. I wonder if it was bigger than I imagined? Maybe it was that 20 #+ fish I have dreamed about?

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Lost a big kipper - twice!

River Don, Aberdeen ~20 years ago.

One September Saturday morning, my father hooked a fish which was just plain sullen! After the take, it wouldn't move for ~15 minutes from the far side (my father & I thought he had hooked a tree-stump), then slid down to the middle of the pool and sat there for a further 10 minutes, not budging either - despite real strain on the rod/line. It moved finally to the tail of the pool under the near bank, and the hook just pulled after a further 10 minutes.

A week later to the day (& almost the hour), we were both fishing the same pool; I got a heavy pull where my father had the take the week before, and the fish almost immediately went to the middle of the pool to sulk. He did so for ~15 minutes, then the hook pulled again.

The fish wasn't seen on either occasion.

It was only later when we mentioned this to other fishermen were we told that "that old kipper has been in there since April - it's been seen by many people, and must be about 45lb".

Not the fight of a lifetime, but the fish was just too big & sullen to control.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts