Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im headed up to the north to camp with the family for 5-6days starting the 4th and I am planning on getting a couple of days in on the river. I was just looking for any insight into early season info as to flies, size and patters and general info on area to fish. Ill be camping in the fly only area. any info you are willing to share is much appreciated.
thanks
Gunnar

·
Registered
290 Posts
All you need is a floating line, longish leader with a heavy butt and heavy tippet (0x or 10 lb maxima) and some dry flies, something like a grease liner, size 6, and maybe a few small to medium size black or purple classic wets size 2,4,6 and 8. Seriously I never take more than one box of flies on that river. That is pretty early in the year so probably your best bet is to talk to anglers on the water for the most up to date info. Focus on medium-depth (3-6 ft) riffles and tail outs. If it looks good it can hold a fish.

Have fun,

-John

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Can’t really disagree with any of John’s advice there, other than only taking one box of flies. I always end up taking, and carrying waaaaayyy too many flies. I’ve been told I have issues... no worries, I usually tie more in camp. Inevitably I end up fishing mostly the handful of flies I tie up in camp, as they seem more relevant to current moods and conditions (mine, but not necessarily the fishes).
Good luck! I’m envious
JB

·
Registered
28 Posts
For what it's worth, my last three summer runs, on the NU, have taken a small fly that
showed some flash with tinsel tied into the wing. I usually fish in September and October. Good Luck.

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Water Temps on the NU

How are the water temps these days? Looks like the level of Steamboat is super low.

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
All you need is a couple bobbers, plenty of split shot and some dynamite for extra insurance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I will be fishing the NU next Saturday, have one day to swing during a vacation/road trip through Oregon. Looking forward to seeing the river again! If you run into a white van with Utah plates, say hello!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just returned home after fishing the NU Saturday and snuck in one run Sunday morning before our 13 hours drive back to Salt Lake. Boiled a fish on a dry Saturday evening. Fish missed the fly on the boil and returned for a grab as the fly swung out, fish missed the hook though. Very happy with my fish encounter given my very limited time on the river! You guys who get to see this place more frequently have a very special river to spend time on, hope you all have a great season out there. Looking forward to hearing about your trips on the boards.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Just returned home after fishing the NU Saturday and snuck in one run Sunday morning before our 13 hours drive back to Salt Lake. Boiled a fish on a dry Saturday evening. Fish missed the fly on the boil and returned for a grab as the fly swung out, fish missed the hook though. Very happy with my fish encounter given my very limited time on the river! You guys who get to see this place more frequently have a very special river to spend time on, hope you all have a great season out there. Looking forward to hearing about your trips on the boards.
Wait! Did you swim? If you didn't swim, I'm not sure the trip really counts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wait! Did you swim? If you didn't swim, I'm not sure the trip really counts.
No full swims, did a little hot-tubbing though! Not sure one day on the NU really counts either way, just a tease.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'll be there the next 2 days if anyone is interested in fishing together. Staying at Susan Creek Campground, #31, driving silver BMW wagon with rod racks.

-Kenny

1 - 16 of 16 Posts