Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I started working on the wide drum version of my spey reel today. I thought I would share a step by step pictorial of the process.

Moderators: If this is too far off topic please let me know.

The first part to make is the cage of the reel. This is the biggest, most complex and time consuming part, so I want to get it out of the way first.

The material: 4" diameter 6061-T6 Aluminum round bar stock.

Cutting the stock to length in the horizontal band saw:

The "Puck." The weight at this point is 2.05 lbs.

The work piece chucked up in the lathe.

The first cut: facing the part.

A pretty face.

Cleaning up the OD.

Then the part gets turned around in the chuck, faced and the excess material gets hogged off the OD.

That's when my camera ran out of battery today. After that I drilled a big hole in the center of the part and used a boring bar to hog out a ton of stock from the inside of the piece.

All the work so far has just been very rough to get rid of all the excess stock. Tomorrow I'll start on the finishing steps.

Mark

·
Registered
277 Posts
Really interesting to see this first hand, step by step. Most of us have seen or built rods ourselves, and flies, but a reel from bar stock I have not seen. Looking forward to see the outcome.

·
Registered
824 Posts
mark
it's nice to also see you over here on this great site , i'm sure everyone is going to enjoy your posts while you make the reel , slap a wooly handle on it when your done , i still remember seeing your first reel with that handle ,

you must of got the spey bug bad this fall , please don't tell me your out with the bamboo rods and onto bigger things ,

next fall we should hook up for a few days and swing some
''bow river''

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey Mark! Glad to see you are on board here now as well. I have enjoying your others posts on ccrf for a while now. You are master builder for sure and its nice to show all the work that goes into a piece like this.
Tim
www.speyco.net

·
Registered
941 Posts
ohhh yeahh!!

I'm looking forward to following this one through. I used to work in a machine shop while I was attending college. This stuff never gets old.

Can't trust anyone that wouldn't find this interesting. :chuckle:

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is very cool stuff.

I'd like to suggest to the mods that this thread get "sticky'd" to the top of the section.

At the end of the process, it would also be nice to see and hear a video of the reel in operation. I'll bet she's a screamer.:saevilw:

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
When's the rest coming, not trying to push this but it's like watching a movie and having it sut down before the climax.

We need more please!!!!:Eyecrazy:

Borderfly

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a ton guys!

Richard, Still very much into the bamboo, just adding this obsession.

Jimmy, was that local maker in Nashua and named Stan?

Alright now on to the good stuff.

From where I left off yesterday, I flipped the part around and started to turn to final diameter.

Then faced off the back side.

Next I used a tool I ground to cut in the relief where the pillars will be

Swing around the compound and cut the bevel

A little decorative touch

Now all the outside operations are done on the lathe. I ordered a new boring bar Monday, hopefully that shows up tomorrow and I can move on and finish up the frame.

When I was cleaning up the lathe I grabbed a long stringy chip that was wrapped around something and sliced my finger open. It's amazing how little it takes. And this was without the machine even running!

Hard to tell from the photos, but it went about 1/4" deep. Went through three dressings like this before it finally stopped bleeding!

Mark

1 - 20 of 130 Posts