Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P2054296.jpg P2054297.jpg
Neat pattern, fairly simple. Had to give it a shot and put it away for spring. Couldn't "get with" the pastels though - the light or pale blue followed by the pink in the body and then again in the throat...

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It is med-oval gold. The gold rib is flat braid and the loop is a heavy piece of mono. I used Kori, Ozark Speckled Turkey for the light-bustard, and one barb of light-tan Kori to help marry the GP tail in the wing. Kori is "like glue"for married wings: Zips right up and holds.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Nice work!

I would LOVE for a little more details on how some of you do tinsel and floss heads. I did it once and it turned out so bad I never went there again. I think it's a very nice way to finish.

So any pointers would be great!

Thanks

Ben

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Nice one, Ive never tried the tinsel head, are the traditionally extra fine tinsel or broad?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Nice work!

I would LOVE for a little more details on how some of you do tinsel and floss heads. I did it once and it turned out so bad I never went there again. I think it's a very nice way to finish.

So any pointers would be great!

Thanks

Ben
Thanks again Gentlemen.

Good questions. I started another today taking pics that will address each of you -
P2064300.jpg P2064303.jpg
The way I did this is same as with herl at the head: tied underneath after the hackle and before the wing.
P2064304.jpg P2064305.jpg
As to which material and size - I say just to size it up. Here I used two stands of small flat twisted and wound for a No. 3 hook, med oval on the 1/0 above. I have less than 1/3 spool of small oval gold, so Im being stingy and creative.

P2064306.jpg
Add couple of clear-coats on this.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'll make you a deal. You pm me your address and I'll send you a few spools if you send me a few flies to look at.

Let me know what you would like I have plenty.

Cheers

Ben

·
Registered
520 Posts
Harlequin...

Beautiful fly; nice job.
The old school way of finishing off that kind of head would be to tie off the tinsel at the front of the head, varnish the head and let it tack up, then wrap back toward the wing with just the right length of material to wrap and finish butting up to the wing on the underside-since it is sometimes difficult to get just the right length of material to do this is, it is perfectly ok to wrap back to the wing and then carefully secure the end of the tinsel/hurl, wool with a half hitch. A wrap or two of small diameter thread (14/0) is really not that visible at that point. Just a suggestion to try-there's more than one way to skin the cat...

Tom

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
A wonderful job on a fussy pattern. Expertly dressed. This fly deserves better Jungle Cock, however, it still looks terrific with split nails

dave

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Beautiful fly; nice job.
The old school way of finishing off that kind of head would be to tie off the tinsel at the front of the head, varnish the head and let it tack up, then wrap back toward the wing with just the right length of material to wrap and finish butting up to the wing on the underside-since it is sometimes difficult to get just the right length of material to do this is, it is perfectly ok to wrap back to the wing and then carefully secure the end of the tinsel/hurl, wool with a half hitch. A wrap or two of small diameter thread (14/0) is really not that visible at that point. Just a suggestion to try-there's more than one way to skin the cat...

Tom
Thanks Tom - Now I know. I spotted the pattern, and without specified instruction "tackled" it as before keeping bulk to a minimum as much as possible.

Dave - The cape has definitely seen better days but still has some useable nails in it. I'm happy with the results - but I don't know about expertly done. Surely the old masters have established methods for tapering the body, as another example. I simply build it up as neatly as possible. No burnishing - simply smooth under-layers of white floss leaving recesses to be fill-in by the tinsels and finishing layers of silk...

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Outstanding work. Floss work is tight and the wing is well balanced. Fun stuff at the eye.

Empty you PM box, so I can send you my address.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts