Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, help me out here gang!

I'm 40 this coming March, so in lieu of a mid-life crisis and all that entails, I've decided that I'll take some of the money I'd spend on a sports car and perhaps look at a Perfect purchase. I know Hardy has a new one, but I'd really rather an old one that has been fished. I'm not big on museum pieces, just a well-appreciated and well-maintained 4-1/4 for my big Speys. Any thoughts on where I might begin my search?

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I will make you cry if I ever meet you BeBop. I'm not talking big girl "we're out of ice cream!" cry either :D

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Just kidding BeBop!

I'm sure it's too rich for my blood in the end. Been watching it for days. I'm sure the heavy hitters will come out Sunday. Only 4 bids? Still under reserve? It should be fun to watch the last hour or so :smokin:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Given the shape it appears to be in, plus the original box, it probably will end up in the hands of a collector and will never be fished--Pity...

·
Registered
886 Posts
Gary the fish, is a good lad I've dealt with him in the past. The reel looks nice, early sixties by the colour of the box. The good news is it should fit on modern rods. These reels are meant to be fished not sat on shelves.

I have been watching this one as well, I think it will go for more than it is worth. IMHO

What about a nice Cascapedia, forget the sports car altogether.

PS If you realy want one and haven't got one by birthday time I'll sell you one of mine, I've forgotten just how many I have.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now let's see...

...a Perfect that was fished on great rivers by one of our own, and a Scot no less...I can't think of a Perfect that could be more perfect than that Perfect!

That's mighty nice of you, Willie! Let's chat offline about this...

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Dana, if you 'hook up' with Willie on this,

just assure yourself he includes a few small bottles of "mouth wash" in the box.
:devil:

'Inside joke,' but Malcom knows what I mean.
fae

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I spotted this thread I wondered if someone can help. I have a perfect I got from my father who purchased it before the war.. I used to use it a lot when trout fishing years ago... but have not used it since. I recall bringing it to an Antiques fly show to get an opinion. One Guy I showed it to from London stated that it was of some good value... but he opened it and saw, from what I could tell ,was the initials of the maker. He then wanted to know if I would sell it to him. My question is ,he showed me how to open it... BUT I FORGOT....I thought about it when I saw the inside of the one on e-bay which was posted here. I think it was a reverse turn on the handle... but I lost the touch I guess... can anyone just give me a quick lesson on opening it... I need to see if it needs to be cleaned and I am now interested as to just who's initials are in there..Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
1. Have look on the other side from the photo, is there a screw in the middle? the bigger reels have the little ones don't. If it has undo it it has an arrow to show you the direction, usualy reverse thread.
2. You are right, you hold the reel in your (usually) left hand jamming the spool, with your fingers, then wind backwards after an initial stiffness the plate will come off reveiling the spool.

Try that it realy depends whether it is a left /right hand wind reel? Has it a line guard?
Take care with the cleaning DO NOT Polish off it's aging colour.

·
Registered
215 Posts
John, here's how to break down a salmon-sized Perfect.

1. Remove the screw in the centre of the backplate. This has a reverse thread, so unscrews clockwise.

2. Grasp the backplate of the spool in one hand; this is easier done if there's no line on the reel, as you can get your hand inside the cage. Turn the handle anti-clockwise (opposite direction to winding in) while ensuring that the spool does not rotate.

3. Once the front plate and spool begin to separate, continue to wind the handle anti-clockwise, while pushing the spool out of the cage. The spool will gradually unscrew from the central spindle and can be removed.

4. Once the spool is removed, the front plate and spindle can be pulled out to reveal the ratchet and pawl mechanism. It may be necessary to give the central spindle a light tap to get it going.

I think some of the smaller trout-sized Perfects don't have the screw in the backplate. I don't have one to check, but I would guess that the procedure is the same, omitting step 1. Incidentally, the reels work fine even if this central screw is missing.

Hope this makes sense - it's much easier to demonstrate than explain!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks to Both of you..it does not have a screw ..but by jamming the spool, and the initial tightness..I opened it... great... the Maker initials are T.A.G....It says on the reel that it is a "Duplicated, Mark II", size 3 3/4, Made by Hardy Bros LTd, Alnwick, England... the center has 'The "Perfect" Fly Reel 'around the center. Thanks very much for the quick response. Willy, I will be sure not to anything that changes the color.. actually the inside looks good.

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
John,
Is it a 3 3/4 w if it is it should have a screw. is there a screw hole?

I think the 3 3/4 W is the nicest reel Hardys made.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Willie....No Screw..Is there any way I can find out who T.A.G. is..I suppose I could contacr Hardy by e-mail.

·
Registered
886 Posts
John,
Someone will be able to tell you, I can't I refuse to buy the reel collectors books, they always go for far too much money. I would rather spend the money on more reels.

Certaily the factory will be able to tell you, they are having a big sale today and tommorrow I think.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK...Thanks Willie...I'll fish around a little... Opening it was what I really wanted to do..I will remember that process from now on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts