Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Definitely a whole bunch of issues. Decided I needed to give a blind eye a try. Only my third married wing and you can see that in the tips.
The underwing gave me tons of trouble and the wood duck came apart while I was trying to fix it. I didn't have any green goose that was long enough and omitted the sides.

·
Undertaker
1,356 Posts
You're too hard on yourself

I think that fly is fine. I especially like your well brushed out forward body - gives bulk without weight. Fish it with confidence.

·
Administrator
19,089 Posts
The Green Highlander is a great fishing fly .
Tie it on and give it a swing !!
Tied very nice and will serve you well .

Mike

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I wouldn't say there is a whole bunch of issues, there's a lot to be proud of, especially considering this is not your third go at it.

Everything right up to the point of tying in the wing is tight. Very well done. Take your time with the wing set. Make sure you get the shape you at looking for before moving on. Get a good bend in the wing before tying it on.

Don't worry about omitting a few components at first, the GH has a lot going on.

The trouble I had was that I used to start off slow, really get the body done well, then anxiously rush the wing as I wanted to see it completed. Not sure if you experience the same thing, but worth a thought.

Really well done.

Keep at it,

Scott

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice Scott. I certainly don't Rush the wing but I am having troubles with getting the right shape without the tips of the goose going hawire. It is one serious advantage I see in turkey. I certainly need to take more time with the underwing both in selction/prep and in mounting. I also need to get some silk gloves because my hands take the shine right out of the floss.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
A couple things to try.

Take a fine emery board to your fingers before working the silk.

Take your colou goose section, split it in half or thirds, and re marry them so the ends are a bit more blunt. Don't worry about them being perfectly straight. I used to go for that look, but I find now that I prefer the wing edge to have a bit of character. Not a lot mind you ;) LOL

Scott.

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is actually danvilles 4 strand so I am assuming the shine is being lost more due to oils but I may be wrong. I will try your wing technique thanks a ton

1 - 11 of 11 Posts