Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keeping with my newest series I present the "Half-assed Doctor". One of these days I will tie a classic as written. I attribute this attempt to Jabrowning. I took 300 grit sandpaper to my fingers and it really helped the shine of the floss as seen in picture 2. I couldn't be happier with Danville 4 strand. Fantastic synthetic floss. Granted, I have never used silk so I may have no idea what I'm missing.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Based on the background I'm guessing Riley right? You nailed it man, hands down the best I've seen from you! The body looks awesome, and that's not easy with tinsel. As far as the floss thing... You have no idea what you're missing!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I say ditch the gut. My view is unless it's going in a frame there is alternatives that will be cheaper and more durable for fishing... maybe it's just me but I feel like the GP tail should be on the top of the wing, that is the only critique I have and clearly that's not a big deal. This is not even in the same league as the last fly I saw from you

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gp is at the bottom because the right side of my tail isn't long enough to do the top on a 1/0. I'm also only using the gut just because I have it. No other reason. I will eventually go to backing.

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
On the green highlander it was at the top and I can't Beleive i pulled it off. I decided not to risk it again lol my only self critque is the second throat is too long. Didn't seem that way until I saw photos

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Don't let that stuff psych you out, everyone talks about how terrible it is so a lot of guys are afraid of it. It's just another feather. It's just amother feather... It's just another feather.... I have to convince myself at times too! When I don't over think it things go just right

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nice work! Agree with Josh and put the GP on the top (gosh i dislike marrying that stuff). These cold winters are sure productive at the vice huh?! :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
beautiful fly. although i dont like curved shanks on old patterns you seem to have pulled it off here. and on this fly many tiers actually tie the GP on first as an underwing which i quite like the look of so I see no problem with that, its up to you anyway.

do yourself a favor and do not use the gut, or atleast until you learn how to twist it properly. and i dont suggest fishing with it. Theres a reason we dont use it anymore (more than a few). why not twist some mono? in old days, gut leader to gut loop. nowadays, why not mono leader to mono loop? (or fluoro) put real gut and mono side by side they almost look and feel the same.

and other than the cool factor of having real silk floss you are not missing out on all that much with synthetics

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Nothing wrong w that attempt. I thought the recipe called for a separate small underwing of golden pheasant tail. :confused: lots to be proud of here IMO. I think a straight shank hook would've helped the overall look, but very nice job regardless.

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the kind words and feedback everyone. I wasnt really planning on fishing it but its a bit of a bummer to hear that it would be a bad idea. The gut was twisted very well and dried but when I cut and started to play with it it unrolled a bit. I started the winter with the goal to tie some classics at the lowest cost possible. One way I did that was only purchasing one pack of 1/0 hooks haha. When my ties deserve it I will be splurging on nicer hooks. Likely next winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts